Forum: Highland / Highland - Jig

Highland - Jig
Jig shoes too big, but socks are not an option. Now what?
By rosalinde Comments: 1974, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Jul 09, 2017 02:09 AM

I wear a 4.5 in dance shoes so I have a 5 for Jig. They were always big on me but they've stretched with use and tights just won't work. But wearing socks is't an option (I'm 41, so, no). I tried size 4 shoes but I cannot even get them on. What can I do? My Jig shoes feel so 'floppy' now.

5 Replies to Jig shoes too big, but socks are not an option. Now what?

re: Jig shoes too big, but socks are not an option. Now what? (karma: 1)
By kinsidhe Comments: 249, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Sun Jul 09, 2017 05:05 AM
I've had to wear jig shoes that were too big for me, here's what I did. I got some of the self stick weather stripping and stuck on the inside of my heel so it took up room in the back of the shoe. Worked really well for me. You may also try getting some shoe inserts and use those in the shoe to take up space. You could try lambs wool or something similar in the tow of the shoe. Perhaps an 'invisible' sock like a nude ped. Or a combination. The weather stripping worked really well for me. Best of luck!
re: Jig shoes too big, but socks are not an option. Now what?
By kinsidhe Comments: 249, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:58 AM
ugh...Toe...not tow!(my above error is bugging me)
I really should proofread/type with my glasses on!
:)
By marginalia Comments: 16, member since Tue Apr 11, 2017
On Fri Jul 14, 2017 09:47 AM
Kinsidhe has some good recommendations-- length is pretty easy to manipulate. You could get ouch-pouches, like ballet dancers put in their point shoes, or those stick-on, squishy 'heel protectors' that are supposed to help prevent blisters-- they take up a bunch of room in the shoe by pushing the foot slightly forward-- something like this: www.target.com . . .

If the shoe just feels wide all around, try sticking something in the toe or heel to help with the length, and a thin, very basic Dr. Scholl's-type insole will take up some of the width.

Best of luck!
By Sword123 Comments: 49, member since Mon Aug 11, 2014
On Tue Aug 01, 2017 09:50 PM
My dancer used cotton balls in the toes of her slightly-too big jig shoes for competitions. Worked fine & she didn't complain of any discomfort.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3224, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:24 PM
Ouch Pouches? Or something similar. You know, one of the various brands/styles of toe protection out there, often used by ballet dancers but useful to any sort of dancer (there are the pouches, there are individual toe covers, etc. Confession: I used to have the gel toe covers when I first started until I could get used to half-points; they were painful at first...even now I'm aware it could work out better for me if I could come up with some way to deal with the fact that my second toe is long and tends to bend funny on half-point).

Or you could use paper towels or lambswool or similar too-- just make sure you wrap it around your toes (instead of just stuffing it into the toe of your shoe and jamming your foot in; molding it to your foot should be more comfortable/better for your feet), and be careful to make sure it doesn't show and that it is secure enough to not shift and start poking out during a dance!

ReplySendWatch