Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
Chronic Pain/Inflammation in Tendon Weakened Foot
By MaiaRose Comments: 13, member since Fri Jul 03, 2015
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 08:12 AM

Hi! I love the supportive community here on dance.net, and I was hoping someone would be willing to listen (and maybe even have some suggestions) regarding my issue.

I have patellar tendonitis in both knees (significantly worse on my left), mobile kneecaps, and posterior tibial tendonitis in my right ankle. These have kept me out of dance for over two years due to chronic pain, but since the orthopedist told me that structurally I am sound to dance, I have decided to trust his judgement and return to training.

My right foot has always been my bad foot (less arched, harder to maintain turn out) but it's so weak now. Unfortunately, I've always been a "leftie" so I'm often frustrated that I struggle with my balance, which translates to falling out of turns. Many strengthening exercises people have recommended to me cause a lot of pain and result in a stiffer joint, but besides wearing a brace and supportive shoes when I'm not dancing, I'm not sure what else to do. I have already gone to physical therapy, so any ideas that I could suggest to my teacher/orthopedist would be appreciated.

1 Replies to Chronic Pain/Inflammation in Tendon Weakened Foot

re: Chronic Pain/Inflammation in Tendon Weakened Foot
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 04:04 PM
Hyper mobile patella is something a lot of dancers suffer from, especially to the lateral side of the leg because we imbalance our hip flexors with all of our turn out. This shortens the lateral hip flexors and makes the medial ones lazy and long.

It's something I suffered from for years until I found Pilates, particularly Cadillac and Reformer work, there are also many exercises that will help with the lower leg as well. When you're looking for a Pilates instructor look for someone who does not take part in the classes they're teaching, at best they're not paying proper attention to their clients, at worst it's positively dangerous, especially where equipment is being used. A good, knowledgable Pilates instructor will be able to adapt exercises to suit their clients needs.

ReplySendWatch