Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
Hip Flexor Injury
By dashboardx Comments: 4, member since Thu May 26, 2016
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 01:49 PM

So I recently was cast in a musical with a dance heavy role. In rehearsals, the choreographers have all neglected to warm us up or guide us through stretches, and one day while doing a long series of pique turns I suddenly began feeling pain in my left hip flexor (the working leg of the turns). Each time she had us do the series of turns it hurt more and more, but the choreographer was very hard on us and I was afraid if I told her she would think I was trying to get out of doing the turns, so I said nothing and pushed through it. I took off work the next day to rest, but I had to dance later in another rehearsal. The pain actually got better as I danced at first and I thought that it was over, however I then did a barrel jump over somebodys back and the pain came back INSTANTLY and worse than ever before, this time I could feel a snapping/tearing sensation in my leg when the pain started. I marked the jump for the rest of the rehearsal. I think there's no doubt that I need to see a professional about the injury, and I plan to see one on saturday, but the show is next saturday and I have to dance for up to five hours every night. I don't want to lose my place in these dance numbers, and I want to be able to practice the choreography but I just don't know what to do because I can't get through a rehearsal without feeling pain. We have rehearsal every night for about five hours. Any advice for taking care of the injury and working towards recovery while still participating in rehearsal?

1 Replies to Hip Flexor Injury

re: Hip Flexor Injury
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 04:26 PM
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here but, who's responsibility is it to warm up? In a rehearsal setting it's normally left to the dancers to warmup themselves, time is money (and extra rehearsal space rental) after all and I don't know a single show that has an unlimited budget.

This was one of your posts from last year and there's every possibility they are related.

www.dance.net . . .

After all your Hip Flexors move your Hip joint.

You need to mark your work in the show, no dancing full out. Tell your choreographer/director that you have the injury and tell them you have a doctors appointment, they won't know that you need to take it easy if you don't tell them you're injured.

Let us know how things go.

ReplySendWatch