Forum: Music

Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers! (karma: 2)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 03:38 PM

I want to give away some karma, cause I haven't in a while. So here's the deal: suggest music to me. No restrictions. Any genre, any style of dance. 1 song. 2 songs. Your entire iTunes library. Couldn't care less. Participate, maybe get a new song idea, for sure get some karma. Everybody wins!

15 Replies to Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers!

re: Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers! (karma: 2)
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 03:48 PM
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2017-07-12 15:50:38 Embed isn't working for some reason sadly.
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2017-07-12 15:51:42 oops
Bicycle Pump Polka:
www.youtube.com . . .

Music for guinea pigs:
www.youtube.com . . .

Oh, wait... you mean music to dance stuff to. Well, then Hamilton's still relevant, yes?
www.youtube.com . . .
re: Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers! (karma: 3)
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 08:31 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2017-07-12 20:38:31 fixed markup
I love this!

Where to begin? Well...if this were the start of a recital, I would start at the beginning!

When I construct a recital, I try to choose an opening number that lends itself to some kind of "production number", with the "feel" of the style of the old time Hollywood/Busby Berkeley production numbers. We integrate Dance History with our technique training so calling up an icon like this brings some history to life. (en.wikipedia.org . . .)

I am really fortunate in that I have the MOST terrific little group of dancers. They are sweet, kind, work well together, and are supportive and respectful of each other regardless of their differences in skill and abilities. It really helps when you don't have to deal with jealousy or mean kids.

When our theme was It's A Small World, a "dance around the world" structure, we opened with "France" and used Be Our Guest from Beauty and the Beast.

Each class was assigned a few measures and eventually the whole gang was on stage doing a kaleidoscope formation. It was fun and let all the parents see their own kids right from the start of the show.

Everyone was so happy with it, the next year, our theme was Sunny Days (I was totally disgusted with the tone of the presidential primary debates so went all "Pollyanna" on our theme for the sake of "Happy Childhood Memories". Life is hard enough without teaching kids to be disrespectful, call names, and insult their opponents....) We opened with Good Morning from Singing in the Rain and used the same format everyone enjoyed the year before. The whole gang did the "kick off" to our show. Like the year before, the music lent itself to the old time production number.

This year, our theme was Books. I was THRILLED to find the perfect song from a new musical,Bright Star, that actually didn't run long but was written in the "old time musical" style. We actually named the show, If You Knew My Story, after the song.

This is such a nice musical. It is too bad Hamilton took everything at the Tony Awards the year it debuted because I think it might have been a big hit if the competition was different. There are actually two other great songs that would work well for my recent "formula" for my kids at recital. If I do, something like The Country Mouse and the City Mouse or A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock and Roll for next year's recital, I may use one of them for the opening. One is Whoa Mama

and the other is Another Round.

I'm not sure either of these is appropriate for the whole group, but I have a while to think about it. I think American Pie would actually work as a good opening for this theme. It has enough changes to include several different classes, but we really would need to cut it. It is way too long.

If we don't do this theme, I may go with School Daysbecause I just LOVE all the Schoolhouse Rock stuff.

Here's just one...Conjunction Junction

I am having a hard time choosing just one... so many fun choices!

That's enough for now.... someone else can take a turn. xoxoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Wed Jul 12, 2017 08:50 PM
Sjerose....

Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2017-07-12 15:50:38 Embed isn't working for some reason sadly.
Edited by sjerose (158555) on 2017-07-12 15:51:42 oops

Try this....
[ followed by the word youtube then ]the "middle" is everything after the = sign on the youtube "code" (sorry... I don't know what it's called)then another [ followed by / and the word youtube and then another ].

I hope that makes some sense.... It's been so long since I did it, it took me a few tries to get it right.

Good luck.

Keep On Dancing*
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 13, 2017 07:57 AM
Well hot dang, I was using the full URL instead of just the video code! I definitely did not read the markup guide right. Thanks Christine!

By CinderEmma
On Sun Jul 16, 2017 06:25 AM
It would obviously be foolish of me to pass of an opportunity for free karma, so here goes:

"Who's Gonna Drive You Home Tonight" by the Cars

"I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
By DancePrincess225
On Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 AM
So many great songs out there!! And Free Karma!! So here goes nothing.

Wake me up Before You Go Go - Wham!
Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows
Broken Wings - Mr. Mister
Into the Mystic - Colin James
Forever Young - Alphaville (Was Our Opening Number one year)
Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn
Somewhere only we know - Keane
Speechless - School of Fish
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Have i told you lately- Van Morrison
All Together Now - The Farm (Was Our Opening Number one year)
Vogue - Madonna
Material Girl - Madonna
Riptide - Vance Joy
Jar of hearts - Christina Perri
Cheerleader - Omi
Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Begin Again - The Piano Guys (Ballet)
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz

I Have Plenty More if you would like!
Just post a comment and I would be happy to give you more.
Thanks for the Karma!!!
re: Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers! (karma: 3)
By maureensiobhan
On Tue Jul 18, 2017 07:22 PM
You might want to try some of the songs from the movie "Sister Act II":

1) "Get Up Offa That Thing"

2) "Joyful, Joyful"

3) "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

4) "A Deeper Love"
By Sappersis
On Thu Jul 20, 2017 08:13 AM
Right now I can't get enough of anything by the Puppini Sisters and Post Modern Jukebox... and the original Ghostbusters soundtrack.
re: Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers! (karma: 1)
On Tue Jul 25, 2017 08:23 AM
II have actually been working on next year's recital already and am trying to choose between "A Little Bit Country and A Little Bit Rock and Roll" and something based on "America", as the theme. I found an old folk song that will actually work for both, I think.

Years ago, Arlo Guthrie used it in a concert and said, "The problems in this country can't be solved in meters or kilometers. They need to be solved in inches.... the way they were crated.'

If I use it, I'm going to have the littlest kids do a creative movements number to it.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers! (karma: 1)
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:03 AM
simon and Garfunkel "I Am A Roving Gambler: vimeo.com . . .

Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Someone Who Loves Me
" " : Hold on Help Is on the Way - Preacher's Wife
" " : Joy To The World -- Preacher's Wife
Three Dog Night: Jeremiah
" " : Never Been To Spain
" " : Shambala
The Stairwell Sisters: Red Gal - Lisa Berman
" " : Jump Back
" " : Sleep When You're Dead - Martha Mawthorne
re: Suggest Music To Me! - Karma for all answers!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 AM
Eep! I got so far behind! You guys have come up with some excellent ideas, I love it! Keep 'em comin', I caught back up! LOL...
By maureensiobhan
On Tue Jul 25, 2017 07:32 PM
Another idea for a jazz piece might be "Ability to Swing" by Patti Austin. I've seen a beautiful video on YouTube of Katherine Healy dancing to a medley of traditional Irish songs. I don't know if it would violet any copyright laws if you were to try to obtain a copy of the music she's dancing to, but it might be an idea for a ballet piece.
On Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:04 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2017-07-26 12:05:06 fixed markup
Ok....so here is a story ti make your day.

I'm at a dance teacher conference in Vegas. Yesterday a WONDERFUL presenter was doing a thing on play lists for little kids. She encouraged singing, and asked us all to do a tap step while singing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road"

Everyone sang the first part, and after the first three bars very few knew the rest of the words, so in a room of approximately 50 teachers I continued to sing "Follow the river over the stream,, follow the fellow who follows the dream" ALONE.

So.... here is a great cover of the song. Great for littles... only 1:30 or so

Keep On Dancing*
On Thu Aug 03, 2017 06:54 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2017-08-03 06:56:26 fixed markup
Song for the day.....

Life's A Dance
You learn as you go......

Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow....

Keep On Dancing*
By Marelie
On Sat Aug 19, 2017 02:13 PM
Thank you for this thread! I'm looking for music too and always love to hear about other people's new favorite songs!

Here are some of my favorites right now :

Geronimo - Sheppard. I have used it for jazz and just loved the uplifting/happy feel to it.
Soda Pop - Robbie Williams and Michael Bublé. I never get tired of that one, even if I can't figure out what the song's about!
Home - The Piano Guys. Anything by the Piano Guys really, I just love what they do!
North - Sleeping at Last. Love this one, or anything by Sleeping At Last. They have AWESOME covers!
Beautiful Thing - Grace VanderWaal. Love this one, and even though I don't teach dancers old enough to dance about love stories, I feel like it would still work for friendship.

ReplySendWatch