Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
I Can't Believe I Broke My Wris Againt
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4740, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:24 PM

You have got to be kidding me. I broke the left wrist again, same as I did last October.

On Wednesday of last week, I was taking Alex out for his walk. He jerked away from me. I ran down the sidewalk to try to catch him. I tripped and fell literally flat on my face. When I got up, I saw that the end of the wrist by the hand swelled, and there was a large bump on the wrist. I went to the urgent care clinic, where the physician did an X-Ray. He explained that a Colles type of fracture had occurred at the distal end of the Radius in the wrist. I was advised to see the orthopedic surgeon. I saw him on Thursday. The next morning, He did surgery to insert I think four pins into the wrist. I'm glad I didn't need to have a full arm cast, but rather a forearm cast, this time. This makes both the Ulna and Radius that have been broken. I said to the doctor, "It's going to be just my luck to wind up breaking the Humurus next.". The doctor strongly advised me to get tested for osteoporosis, since I've broken the same wrist twice inside of only nine months.

21 Replies to I Can't Believe I Broke My Wris Againt

re: I Can't Believe I Broke My Wris Againt
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6854, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Jul 13, 2017 02:45 PM
Hugs... I hope you heal quickly. xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By hummingbird Comments: 10435, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Jul 13, 2017 09:59 PM
Oh man, that sucks, I hope the testing goes well, please let us know how it goes.
On Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:16 AM
I went down so hard on my face that I was lucky that I didn't wind up with a fracture on the left cheek bone and left brow bone on my face. I wound up with a deep enough gash on the left shoulder, and on both patellas. I was again very lucky that I didn't break both patellas and left clavicle, too.

Alex is still giving me lots of love and kisses. How sweet is this? Two nights ago, my left forearm was hurting to the point where I was in tears. Alex came up to me, sat down beside me, and let me pat him. He then lay down beside me and cuddled up next to me.
On Thu Jul 20, 2017 09:31 AM
I saw the doctor yesterday for my follow-up. He said everything is healing well. The doctor told me to begin taking Calcium tablets twice a day, and vitamin D3 tablets once daily. The doctor is setting up the schedule for me to have a bone density scan.
re: I Can't Believe I Broke My Wris Againt (karma: 1)
On Wed Jul 26, 2017 01:36 PM
Update on my wrist: I saw the doctor today for my follow-up. I may be getting the cast off next week :) . I have to go this coming Monday to have a bone density scan. I'll let you know how that goes.
By tinaydancer_21 Comments: 1, member since Sun Jun 05, 2016
On Thu Jul 27, 2017 07:49 PM
Best of luck!
On Fri Aug 04, 2017 02:39 PM
I just got the results back of my bone density scan. The results show that I do indeed have osteoporosis. The results are showing that for the lumbar spine, the T-Score is -4.3 Standard Deviation from young adult mean value. This is 57% of age matched mean value. For the left femoral neck, the T-Score is -1.2 deviation from young adult mean value. This is 75% of age matched mean value. For the right femoral neck, the T=Score is -1.6 deviation from young adult mean value. This is 79% of age matched mean value. I have to see the orthopedic surgeon on the 16th. I suppose he's going to want to prescribe Fosamax, Prolia, or Actonel..
By CinderEmma Comments: 144, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:33 PM
What is a T-Score?
On Sun Aug 06, 2017 07:15 PM
Per the Mayo Clinic, your T-Score is your bone density compared to what is normally expected in a healthy young adult.

Based on the image results I see of my bone scan, my T-Score of the left femoral neck isn't too far away from having osteoporosis in that area. There seems to be more bone density in the right femoral neck. Based on my T-Score of the lumbar spine, I'm guessing I have quite a bit of osteoporosis in the lumbar spine. When I have to see the orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday, I'll have to ask him if my T-Score results mean I have the bones of a 60-year-old woman. I hope, too, that I'll get this cast off of my wrist.

I wonder if there might be a history of osteoporosis in the family. My aunt (mom's sister) had osteoporosis. We see, then, that I have a second-degree blood relative who had it.
On Thu Aug 17, 2017 09:05 AM
Update on my wrist: yesterday, I saw the orthopedic surgeon to have the four pins in my wrist removed. He managed to remove two of the pins easily. When he began to remove the third pin, there was a lot of pain, to the point where I yelped. He numbed the area with novacaine. That did not have much effect. He numbed the area further, but then found that he couldn't feel the pins. I had to have some minor surgery to remove the pins. I was at the hospital all day. I have my wrist wrapped in an ace right now. I'll get to remove the ace at suppertime.

How sweet is this? When I came home from the hospital yesterday, Alex was so happy to see me. He jumped up at me to give me a hug, and showered me with lots of love and kisses. He wasn't going to let me out of his sight. I thought that was so sweet :) .
On Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:16 PM
I'm wearing a splint now. It was a relief not to have to wrap my wrist in plastic for the shower last night. I have to see the doctor next week for my final follow-up. I'm hoping my arm will finally be free.
On Sat Aug 19, 2017 09:14 AM
Good luck and it's great to hear that you're on the mend again.
On Mon Aug 21, 2017 01:03 PM
I just got back from my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon today. He said the osteoporosis in my case is pretty bad. I will have to be medicated for it. He said he'll send a letter to the family doctor, and we will go from there. So, it looks as if I'm going to need once yearly shots of Fosamax or whatever the family doctor decides.
On Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 AM
I just got back from my final follow-up with the orthopedist. I'm happy to report that I no longer need the splint :) . My arm is finally completely free. I just need to do some light therapy exercises at home.
On Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:36 PM
That must be such a relief to you :)
On Tue Sep 12, 2017 02:29 PM
I have to see the family doctor on Monday to discuss treatment options. I'll let you know what he has to say.
re: I Can't Believe I Broke My Wris Againt (karma: 1)
On Mon Sep 18, 2017 02:12 PM
I just got back from the family doctor. He decided to try Fosamax. If that doesn't work, then we will try Reclast.

My T-Scores, by the way, indicate that I have the bones of a 70-year-old. I'm 52 years old.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6854, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Sep 18, 2017 06:26 PM
maureensiobhan wrote:

I just got back from the family doctor. He decided to try Fosamax. If that doesn't work, then we will try Reclast.

My T-Scores, by the way, indicate that I have the bones of a 70-year-old. I'm 52 years old.

Oh my darling... I am so sorry. My go to cure for everything? TAP SHOES....

Hugs... xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Sep 19, 2017 09:02 AM
Edited by maureensiobhan (80481) on 2017-09-19 09:13:21
Over the past 10-15 years, I've been getting a lot of aches and pains in my lower back. I wonder if the osteoporosis in the lumbar spine could explain that. I've noticed, too, that I've had some aches and pains around the hip joints. I wonder, now, if the osteoporosis at the neck of each femur could explain that.

I can't believe it, too that I've lost two inches in height :P .
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 639, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:53 PM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2017-09-24 00:04:51
I know just how you feel! When I found out I had a good case of OA, my Dr. told me that when he read my XRay and MRI reports that what immediatly came to his mind was that he see's hips like mine in people in their 70's, or older,,,,,and who are having to use a walker,....and I was only 45 y.o. at the time when diagnosed. He immediatly put me on Celebrex and a RX pain med. My hip replacement came 3 yr'd later, but looking back at it now, I should have had it done sooner. He is already seeing narrowing of the cartilage in the joint space in my other hip....so that puppy's next.

Best of luck to you! No matter what you may hear, the medications mostly DO help! Do take care of yourself and be very careful and aware of your surroundings when moving about esp. in unfamiliar places.
On Fri Nov 03, 2017 07:54 PM
I just wanted to say that the doctor wants me to have a bone density scan every year now, to see how well the Fosamax is working.

When I broke my wrist in October last year, my brother said jokingly, "Ah, osteoporosis.". Who could have known that he was right.

ReplySendWatch