Forum: Highland / Highland - Championships

Highland - Championships
Championship and Premiership Steps 2018
By highlandlassie Comments: 2893, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 07:24 AM

Anyone care to give thoughts on the 2018 steps? :)

www.sobhd.net . . .

www.sobhd.net . . .

8 Replies to Championship and Premiership Steps 2018

re: Championship and Premiership Steps 2018
By kinsidhe Comments: 237, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 07:49 AM
I think it is going to be challenging learning the low cutting with shake cross over step AND the cross over with the pause at the same time and keeping them separate!

The ending of the ST is going to be fun! The sword is definitely not boring this coming year!
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 08:03 AM
Yes, lots of challenges in the adult steps for sure. Two backstepping steps in the fling as well.

Interesting to see a year with no Barracks or Laddie in the Premiership. I think that's the first time you'd only need two outfits for a Premiership! Also, interesting the way they gave each national dance a different association's methods. People who don't dance SDTA are going to find the SDTA method of the Backstep and Travel quite different I think. The introduction too. Nothing too crazy in the steps themselves. Although it's going to be interesting seeing the Under 12s do the Cross and Clip Heels!
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 08:20 AM
That's a good point about no Kilt dances in the Premiership! I am under BATD so the STDA will be new for me, but the good news is, I've never really done the Back Step and travel( I think I was introduced to it but never really danced it) So I wont have too much muscle memory to overcome I should think. You have me curious though, how is the STDA intro different?
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 08:34 AM
SDTA finishes with a point to 4th position. I always found it was the one intro that stuck out (I'm SDTA), as 4th intermediate would make more sense than 4th, considering the first movement (Hop brush beat beat). But it's 4th!
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 09:47 AM
Wow, yes that is going to take some practice! I am glad though we aren't doing the BATD Flora, because I don't like having to do a "round-the-leg" before the extension in the first step...or does the SDTA do that as well? I know someone just does the third rear aerial and then straight out for the extension.
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 AM
You're right, it's SDTA with no round the leg in the first step. Also in the second step we step out a little bit in the hop and travel (so step-close rather than beat-beat) so it is not the same movement as in the last step. It's probably the dance with the most differences, actually. Or at least one of those with the most. So it will be interesting for those not SDTA. If you've been dancing the Flora BATD forever and are looking for a change for interest then it might be fun. :)
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:53 AM
Oh I am excited now! I've seen the step out with the hop and travel , I like it a lot and have always wanted to do it that way. More interest to the dance I think. I like to shake things up!
By Bellasmum Comments: 189, member since Sun Dec 30, 2012
On Mon Jul 17, 2017 01:59 PM
Does anyone know of any links to videos on youtube that show the SDTA Flora, the UKA Earl, and the BATD Scotch measure?

My dd is in the Under 12 group and we are trying to see the differences in the different methods in these dances.

Thanks!

ReplySendWatch