Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
Adult Ballet Programs in NYC?
By hazelladykatie Comments: 4, member since Mon Jul 10, 2017
On Wed Jul 19, 2017 02:04 PM

Hello!

I will soon be moving from Washington, DC (which has a very robust dance community for adults) to NYC. I'm an intermediate/advanced dancer and I'd love to continue studying ballet while I'm in New York. I'm moving for a dream job in lower Manhattan and will probably be living in Brooklyn. I know Steps on Broadway is THE authority for a variety of classes, but that may not be feasible because it's so far from Tribeca and REALLY far from Brooklyn, especially for weekend classes.

I saw that Joffrey Ballet has a good adult program, but I was wondering if folks here had any advice or other leads?

Thanks!!

5 Replies to Adult Ballet Programs in NYC?

re: Adult Ballet Programs in NYC?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 AM
Check out Kat....

Image hotlink - 'https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20139621_240394896470784_2555399484007180872_n.jpg?oh=e11c0fdc85a2a26b108c230d17c0af4c&oe=5A04DE82'

She does classes in many studios. The ABT studio is down on that part of the peninsula and perhaps they can make a suggestion.

Good luck in New York, New York (the town so nice they named it twice!)

Keep On Dancing*
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jul 22, 2017 06:31 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2017-07-22 06:38:24
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2017-07-22 06:41:08
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2017-07-22 06:48:36
Finis Jung does an Adult's Workshop a few times a year at one of the well known places (who's name escapes me at the moment---hey it 0630 and I need coffee!!). I had an opprotunity to take it when I was visiting NYC last year for another event. It was very good, but his is more like a weekend Master technique class for adult beginners / intermediates. You may want to check his website thought to see if he has an weekly ongoing adult program or regular teaching schedule--It can't hurt.

I have heard too that the Joffrey Adult program is very good, and a lot of the bigger NYC based companies are now following their lead and starting to do things especially aimed at us adult hobbyist balletr's (if their is such a term) with their community outreach programs.

Being in NYC I am sure you will be able to find adult classes given the plethra of dance organizations there. Remember as adults the best things we have going for us is our ability to network,...network,...network. Once you get settled where you will like, see if there are any adult ballet MeetUp Groups near you. And then take things from there. And of course, as I always say, Google is your friend.

You are right about DC. I really started my plunge into adult classes when I had a posting there with The Forces. It was not as robust back then (early 90's) but I can certainly see how it grew to what it is today.

Good Luck with it! Keep all us adults in mind and tell us how it all goes.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Jul 23, 2017 02:58 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2017-07-23 03:19:43 oops
hazelladykatie wrote:

Hello!

I know Steps on Broadway is THE authority for a variety of classes, but that may not be feasible because it's so far from Tribeca and REALLY far from Brooklyn, especially for weekend classes.

I saw that Joffrey Ballet has a good adult program, but I was wondering if folks here had any advice or other leads?

Thanks!!

REALLY far is a bit relative in a city as compact as New York. Although the outer boroughs seem far, the fact is they are all joined by an excellent mass transit system. Once you are on the island, going from Tribeca to Midtown is a piece of cake. It is a long walk, but honestly, even that is doable. In addition to Steps, the Broadway Dance Center is similar in offering open classes in many disciplines and ability levels.

If you are going to live in Brooklyn, the simplest solution may be to check out classes or workshops at Brooklyn College and follow the leads there. I did a quick search and see Mark Morris is in Brooklyn...very good. There are many, many,options. Try a few and see what feels right. Matthew Powell does classes in many places and he is excellent. If you can get to one of his classes, he will also be an excellent source of information. I think he is going to do something in New York in early August. broadwaydancecenter.com . . .

Good luck in New York. Please let us know of your progress.

Keep On Dancing*
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 23, 2017 09:56 PM
There are also extremely reliable express buses from Brooklyn to Manhattan that run every day, the Sunday service is almost as good as the weekly one. It depends on where you are in Brooklyn but we were in Sheepshead Bay and got one each morning into Manhattan for a course I was on with no problem, you'll be able to buy a weekly or longer ticket from your local subway station.

web.mta.info . . .

The express stops and bus numbers are listed at the bottom of the page.

Finis Jung does classes at the Alvin Ailey centre on a regular basis and they are excellent classes.
By hazelladykatie Comments: 4, member since Mon Jul 10, 2017
On Tue Jul 25, 2017 08:29 AM
Thanks all! Actually, it will take me about an hour to get from my new place (Park Slope) to these areas on public transit, but that's fine. :) Just going to be an adjustment since I'm currently a 20 min walk from my studio in DC. Really appreciate the responses!

ReplySendWatch