Forum: Ask a Teacher

Jazz Class 7 to 12 year olds advice?
By ChassesandLattes
On Thu Jul 27, 2017 04:23 PM

Hello! This is my first time being the lead teacher in this upcoming jazz class I am teaching to kids. I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice for this age group and would like to share any activities and fun strategies you use for your jazz classes. Helpful advice would be much appreciated!

1 Replies to Jazz Class 7 to 12 year olds advice?

re: Jazz Class 7 to 12 year olds advice?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 PM
I do this class every year, and it's got it's up and down sides.

The down side I think, is that they're old enough that they've learned fear. I was just talking to somebody about this the other day - you can teach three year olds barrel rolls and back handsprings cause they're fearless, and they don't get hurt. They'll just do things, they don't care.

By this age range, they've developed fear. They don't want to do it. What if they get hurt? What if they look stupid? Where PEOPLE will see them?

The upside though, is that if you can hold their hands, and get them through it, and make it feel like it's fun and not work - they'll go anywhere for you. I've got several kids this age that have been with me a while, and I've suggested some stuff that I thought was really out there, in terms of their personal bravery levels, and they did it. And never blinked. (I mean, nothing outrageous. I don't want to lead you down the wrong path. But one year we danced to "Bang Them Sticks" by Megan Trainor, and I concocted this little move that looked like one of them shoved the other to the ground. They both went "Oh, Ok!", and that was it. It was done. I thought they were gonna hate it!)

They're tough nuts to crack, but it's absolutely worth it when you do!

ReplySendWatch