Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
Emergency warm-up routine?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Wed Aug 02, 2017 09:28 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-08-02 09:31:48 rewriting sentense
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-08-02 09:46:58 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-08-02 09:48:07 spelling and grammar

I am working on increasing the flexibility of the medial rotators of my thighs, increasing flexibility for arabesques and grand jetes, and flexibility/strength-training for my middle splits. Some days I don't have a ballet class to use as a warm-up, and I'm sometimes in a pinch for time as I also work a full-time job.

Is there an emergency warm--up routine I can do prior to stretching that can be done in only ten minutes? If I could only pick and choose ten-minutes-worth of warm-up excersises prior to my stretch routine (especially for the medial rotator muscles of my thighs), which ones would you recommend? (Remember, this is for WARMING UP prior to stretching; NOT the stretching itself.) Karma for helpful responses!

1 Replies to Emergency warm-up routine?

re: Emergency warm-up routine? (karma: 3)
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Wed Aug 02, 2017 09:25 PM
Basically, you're going to want a dynamic warm-up. A good dynamic warm-up takes about 5-10 minutes and will include some aspects of stretching, but not statically like we often work in class.

Because of your goals, here are some links to some dynamic warm-ups for baseball players. You can adjust the exercises as needed, but I picked baseball because their hips need a surprising amount of mobility (look at pitchers internal rotation at the hip during the wind-up), and they should have lots of lunges that will get your hips ready for stretching in class. Obviously you can cut out some of the arm stuff if you need to cut time, but honestly it's probably not too bad to warm up your arms too.
www.athletesacceleration.com . . .
Pitcher-specific: www.stack.com . . .
For anyone wanting a little explanation on my thought process: www.iadms.org . . .
A good short one: www.youtube.com . . .
I'm also a fan of a good, old-fashioned sun salutation in a vinyasa style. Doesn't give your joints a lot of time to stretch, but man if you do it 1 breath/movement your heart rate should be up well-within 10 minutes.

Hope this helps!

ReplySendWatch