Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Irish - Hardshoe
Hardshoes made specifically for pointe?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Thu Aug 03, 2017 06:58 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-08-03 07:06:18 additonal info

Where might I find female Irish Dance shoes designed specifically for pointe in Irish Dance? Do they make hardshoes with a vamp and a toepiece similar to that of my ballet pointe shoes? Pointe doesn't work very well in the current hardshoes I have and I wonder if I need to get a specific type of shoe for Irish Dance pointe. It just doesn't feel like I have the support that my ballet pointe shoes give me.

3 Replies to Hardshoes made specifically for pointe?

re: Hardshoes made specifically for pointe? (karma: 2)
By Claramel Comments: 35, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Thu Aug 03, 2017 05:06 PM
You can't...at the best of my knowledge anyway. That's why many organizations have banned going on pointe because the shoes are not designed for it.

As someone who injures easily at the best of times and does not have good enough arches to get right over on pointe I'm glad its banned at the school I go to (CRN). I know it looks awesome on stage and I would love to be able to do it but it's too dangerous. As someone with obvious ballet experience you would be one of the few with the strength to do it properly but there aren't any shoes that would support you like ballet shoes do.

If we think of all the horrific injuries dancers get from pushing the limits of the dance form is it really worth doing those movements? Especially if you might never be able to dance again?
re: Hardshoes made specifically for pointe?
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Fri Aug 04, 2017 07:59 AM
Thank you telling me what I needed to know. Here is some karma.
re: Hardshoes made specifically for pointe?
By StepdancerPremium member Comments: 1977, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 PM
I completely agree with Claramel. Irish hard shoes were never designed for pointe. The black-soled shoes most dancers use, the "Mega Flexies" and so on, don't provide anywhere near the support needed for any kind of pointe, especially the kind done in Irish, which is to say percussive pointe. Ballet dancers don't dance percussively on pointe. They're not trying to make noise--on the contrary, they try to muffle the sound of their blocks.

In Irish, we're definitely trying to make noise, and the sound you're going to get out of that tiny, approximately 1" x 1" piece of (slippery) fiberglass you stand on when you go on pointe is not going to be very loud--that's just physics. Since you generally receive more points for being louder and lose points for being too quiet, dancers bang ferociously on their unsupportive shoes, their feet curl in cringe-inducing ways, and they get hurt. No wonder there's such an epidemic of broken feet.

ReplySendWatch