Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Adult Dancers
What can my manfriend expect from his first adult ballet class?
By CinderEmma Comments: 137, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sun Aug 13, 2017 08:59 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-08-13 09:05:10 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-08-13 09:06:06 Emoticon
Locked by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-08-19 04:36:23 Just discovered everything in the "guys in ballet" forum.

Suppose my manfriend wanted to take on ballet as a hobby. He has been thinking it over for two or three monthes now and I think he is seriously interested in taking up the challenge. (I think he wants to Pas De Deux with me :D!) The only dancing he has ever done in his life was about ten years of Irish Dancing when he was in his twenties. He knows absolutely nothing about ballet other than what he has seen from me. He is 35 but has a very powerful, atheletic body for his age.

He sort of wanted me to teach him but I am not qualified to teach him even though I've been a ballet dancer myself for nineteen years. I have suggested that he start off with a beginners adult ballet class at one of my dance studios. As of right now, it is too late for him to enroll in the Fall curriculum so he will have to wait a few monthes(I think) for his first class. Here are my questions: An answer to any one of these questions would help us out tremedously!

As a man, what should he expect from a Beginners Ballet for Adults class?

Can he do any kind of strength training ahead of time to help him prepare for his first class?

Should I be teaching him ballet terminology ahead of time so he understands my ballet language?

Should I be ordering male ballet dancewear for him now even though it will be a few monthes before he starts? He obviously cannot use any of my stuff as all my stuff is for female dancers only.

He knows he is too old for any kind of stage performing or theatre stuff that I do, but if he becomes good at ballet, what kind of NON-CAREER opportunities can he expect as a recreational dancer?

Will he be Pas De Duexing with other women?

2 Replies to What can my manfriend expect from his first adult ballet class?

re: What can my manfriend expect from his first adult ballet class? (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Aug 15, 2017 07:34 AM
You only do Pas de Deux in a Pas de Deux class, that won't be part of a beginner technique class. If you have a studio in mind you'll need to ask them what the dress code will be for men in their adult classes. I don't think there's any harm in going over some of the basic steps and the sort of corrections he might hear being given ahead of time, it will stop him feeling so lost. His Irish dancing will help but there are differences.

I would get in touch with the studio even though you say it's too late to register I don't know of any business that turns away clients, they'd be crazy if they did!
re: What can my manfriend expect from his first adult ballet class?
By CinderEmma Comments: 137, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Aug 19, 2017 04:33 AM
I just now realized that I can still read the threads from "guys in ballet" of the "guys only" forum, even though I won't be able to post. I had read all the female-threads before making this thread to make sure I did not duplicate, but for some reason I never even thought about looking in the "guys in ballet" section.
Sorry, everybody.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed