Forum: General / General

General
Returning to ballet after a serious injury
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 PM

I broke my ankle in January - fractured the tibia and fibula and damaged the connective tissue between them, had my last surgery in April - and now have a plate and screws in my leg.

This reprioritized some things for me, and I've decided I would really like to return to ballet. It's been a couple years since my last class and several years (perhaps 5-7? not really sure) since I was taking classes regularly.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to attempt a class yet, though. I have been cleared to do all physical activity as tolerated, but I'm only running about 10min on the treadmill at a time and while I can do some impact, I can't sustain it for long periods. I think petite allegro would be out of the question, and grand allegro would be questionable. I can releve on both legs, but not on just my left, though I can pique up to a releve on the left (although it doesn't feel great when I try to stay in a balance there).

I've been taking yoga classes and everything's been fine, the only move I don't do is a side plank on the left.

I am going to call around and see if I can speak to an instructor, but I thought I would ask here first. Does it sound like I'd be ready for a class, or should I continue working towards tolerating impact? What benchmarks should I be looking at to see when I'm ready?

1 Replies to Returning to ballet after a serious injury

re: Returning to ballet after a serious injury
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Aug 16, 2017 05:48 PM
Having had more injuries than most over the years I can say it's quite easy to start taking classes and build up as you go along. You would be able to do all of the barre work, Port de Bras and Adage and then mark the allegro to start off with until you're able to start adding in sections.

Good for you for getting back into it and I hope you find a teacher soon.

ReplySendWatch