Forum: Ask a Teacher

I am feeling terribly insecure:(
By MissTalia
On Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:16 PM

I've been teaching for 15 years. After developing my teaching skills in the first years (in a few highly frustrating dolly dinkle spots), I have spent my teaching career traveling high and low to teach for the best studios,for directors set an expectation of excellence for staff and students. I sometimes traveled 35 miles each way,teaching am and pm. This has been a passion, one that I preferred to performing.

In other words I've very deliberately taught for people who would help me grow. Well, our current studio has a ballet director from Russia. He was observing my private lesson. Somwhere in the class he said, "Did you dance? Your body is dancer but not ballet dancer." In front of a student he said this in front of a student. It was more his tone. During my next class he peeked in while I was doing therabands, "I like that." He said.

I am very open with students and anyone about my experience. I have performed with a modern company and done jazz gigs as well, but he is correct at about five feet and more muscular with an Italian booty, I was never in a ballet company (though Im very turned out and trained well). I had excellent ballet teachers and studios tend to want me to teach ballet even though modern is my specialty. I just hope this new director will not write me off because I wasn't a ballet performer. He is an older man from the Bolshoi, and I want to learn and grow from him. Ugh, I am terribly stressed. What to do? I want to express that I'm open to fine tuning my teaching, but I'm just so uncomfortable.

ReplySendWatch