Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
Wrong body (kind of awkward!!)
By kela_giorgio Comments: 1, member since Mon Aug 21, 2017
On Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 AM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2017-08-21 17:33:38 No height/weight ratios allowed.

Ok, so I'm a 14 year old ballerina, I've been doing it since I was 2, I've been through 3 studios due to location reasons. I've got good technique and great musicality and passion according to my teachers. As well, I show great facial expressions when playing a character. The only problem is, I've got the wrong body. I'm only 5"0 and on the wider side. I've got a full B size bust (in most brands, C in a few and maybe on shark week lol) and I always feel so scared. I'm currently doing a lot of exercise to burn fat, and build muscle (I currently weigh XXXlbs)

I was planning to audition for a pre professional school in Europe (since I'm European) but I'm scared that I won't be able to be in due to the size of my body. I just want to ask whether I'd have a shot to get in or would I be weeded out due to my body shape?

3 Replies to Wrong body (kind of awkward!!)

re: Wrong body (kind of awkward!!)
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Mon Aug 21, 2017 03:58 PM
The worst that could happen is that you won't get in, right? But if you don't try, then you know you won't get in.

Try. Living with regret is far worse than the "oh, well...at least I tried...."
By ncmartist Comments: 1, member since Tue Aug 22, 2017
On Tue Aug 22, 2017 01:35 PM
Girl, you got this! Never ever let something as superficial as weight, height, bone structure, etc. define you as a dancer. Yes, there are still many companies and schools that adhere to very strict standards in that area, but this is 2017. The world is changing its views on different body types and the dance community needs to follow suit.

In my opinion, whether or not someone's a good dancer all comes down to one thing: does the audience feel something while watching you? Technique, musicality, choreography, all of those things are just tools that you use to serve that purpose. If you get into that audition room and make them truly feel something with your movement, you're in. In my experience, when someone's a good MOVER (not just pretty to look at), everything else fades away and I just see them moving, making the music come alive.

I was deciding whether or not to get an account on this site, but when I saw your question I knew I had to, because you need to know that you are beautiful just the way you are. If the people judging your audition have any sense, they'll care more about what your body can DO than what it looks like. And if they don't like your body type, then you wouldn't have wanted them in your life anyway. You can always try somewhere else.

Last thing, just remember that there are a thousand reasons someone might not make an audition. Maybe luck of the draw put you way off to the side and they barely saw you, or maybe the girl next to you was wearing a prettier leotard. It literally comes down to that sometimes. Whatever happens, I hope you go for it, give it your all, and never give up no matter what! <3
By reagank Comments: 1, member since Thu Aug 31, 2017
On Fri Sep 01, 2017 07:15 AM
I may be a little late, but there are so many principal dancers out there who have the "wrong" ballet body. They worked at making sure they presented themselves in a way that looked good to the audience. Dance is all an illusion, so we have to create it with our bodies! Did you know Misty Copeland is 5'1''? You'd never guess it on stage! Anyone can be a dancer, we just have to create the illusion that we are amazing dancers to the audience.

Also, be careful with your dieting and exercise! It's fine to do extra-curricular exercise, but don't let it consume your life. You're 14! Now's your chance to be a teenager!

ReplySendWatch