Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
Sitting and Shoulder Pain
By dancingbell2017 Comments: 12, member since Tue Apr 25, 2017
On Sat Aug 26, 2017 01:38 PM

This past year, I have noticed that when I sit down to work on homework or at the computer, my shoulders feel tighter, especially on one side. I guess that I might be holding too much tension in my shoulders and then feeling it after. The only other thing is that my family has a history of alignment issues. Nothing too major, but one shoulder sits higher than the other for my dad and my brother, and I think one of my shoulder is a little higher or something. This might not be related but its possible....
Does anyone have any advice on how to sit properly and adjust where I hold that tension? Also, if anyone can let me know how to help with the tightness after the damage is done that would be much appreciated!

1 Replies to Sitting and Shoulder Pain

re: Sitting and Shoulder Pain
By hummingbird Comments: 10421, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Aug 27, 2017 05:01 PM
If you do a lot of computer work then I'm going to guess that you have tight pecs and long, loose rhomboids amongst other upper back and scapular muscles. What you really need to do is try and balance them up so that the pecs stop trying to be your dominant muscles.

This is only a guess at what the imbalance really is because I haven't seen you walk or move so I suggest that you get a postural analysis done, a good Pilates instructor should know how to do one of these or a massage therapist. Then get into a Pilates class that has a focus on your upper back. The whole idea behind the Pilates system is to regain the balance your muscles should have.

ReplySendWatch