Forum: Advice / Emergency

Emergency
TEXANS. Check in please!!! (Harvey update)
By Sumayah Comments: 6890, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 PM

Coastal and Texans in the path of Harvey, please check in and let us know how you are.

We're worried about y'all.

I'm clearly fine in Austin. But Houstin peeps, Corpus Christie folks, Rockport, Katy, all y'all - I know there's been flooding, tornadoes, winds. Just. Guys. Y'all holding up?

11 Replies to TEXANS. Check in please!!! (Harvey update)

re: TEXANS. Check in please!!! (Harvey update)
By wkde Comments: 102, member since Sat Jan 19, 2008
On Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 PM
In Humble. Texas. Alot if rain where I am.
By hummingbird Comments: 10426, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Aug 27, 2017 04:53 PM
Thinking of you all and hoping you're all safe and well.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6833, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Aug 27, 2017 08:58 PM
Hugs to all.... I've been unconsciously humming "Galveston" while praying.

Please let us know if you need help. In past storms, many studios were badly damaged. We would be happy to help.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By wkde Comments: 102, member since Sat Jan 19, 2008
On Mon Aug 28, 2017 09:47 AM
Thanks so much for the words.... I have included the link via FBI. Trying to get all often studios up north to let all know how they are. Yes, Galveston's been hit hard.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1264, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:22 AM
Last update I got from TheMidlakeMuse about an hour ago is that she has been evacuated due to flooding and is safe and with family, but a lot of her family's homes and property have been severely damaged due to the flooding.
By Sumayah Comments: 6890, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Aug 30, 2017 08:15 AM
Y'all can help out one of own here: t.co . . .
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16418, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:25 AM
All good, here. I'm closer to the DFW area.

kk~
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11323, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2017-09-01 11:47:48
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2017-09-01 11:49:16
Hey guys, I'm here and still alive. I have been living with my 87 year old "Grandma S" and 1-2" of water got into our house but the street was over waist-deep. We (including my cat) were evacuated via air boat on Sunday and spent a few nights in a shelter with no power before water went down far enough to allow access to where we were.

My parents and other grandma, "Grandma G", who lives across from my folks, did not fare so well. Their cars & houses are total losses. Everything is ruined, and I really mean everything. Furniture, clothes, appliances, etc. Their houses had never flooded before, and there was 26-30" in the house at the height of the storm. My parents had to wade across the street in chest-high water to rescue my Grandma G and her 2 dogs from her house. They spent 36 hours with no power and no running water in one tiny room.

At one point I was cooped up at a shelter in a church with my dad, mom, grandmothers, four dogs and a cat. As I joked, "worst family vacation ever".

But we still feel lucky. We only went hungry for a very short time, we have dry clothes, and we have our lives. My car only got a little water in it, but nothing mechanical (just really smelly). The repairs on my grandma S's house may take a few months, but most of her possessions are ok. We were able to dry out a few boxes full of slides and family photographs, some dating back to the 1880's. Unfortunately the only photo we have of the G side's great-great grandparents was ruined.

I am staying with a friend until I figure out what the heck I'm doing. Not sure if I'm going to crash with her for a few months, or bounce around to different friends, or try to get a rental a few months earlier than I had expected (I was living with my grandma to save money until...well, this.) I had planned to go to synagogue this evening for a spiritual recharge but they were devastated too. They were fortunately able to save the Torah scrolls, including one that had survived the Shoah.

Life has been a whirl of tearing out carpets, sorting through possessions, standing in line for groceries, and figuring out logistics. We still have a long way to go, but we're getting back to normal. We are #HoustonStrong.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3038, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 AM
Hang in there. You'll get through it.

Hopefully our guys in the yellow T-shirts have been making a real difference, working right alongside of the Red Cross, the Catholic Charities, the National Guard and all the other groups down there.

No matter what the situation, something CAN be done about it.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11323, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Sep 05, 2017 08:32 AM
The Red Cross is useless, but yeah, there are a lot of great folks doing great work out in the community. I hope they don't forget about Port Aransas and Rockport and all those little coastal communities that got pounded by the wind part of Harvey.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 636, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:23 AM
Like Ms. Sumayah, I am only 45 miles south of Austin and all is fine here in the San Antonio area/'burbs. But my heart and thoughts go out to those here in the DDN community that were effected by Hurricane Harvey, and whom are about to be effected by Hurricane Irma as well.

Hope someone will put out another Check-In message for our DDN associates in South Florida, and really Florida in general.

Y'all be safe now, hear.

ReplySendWatch