Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
Ages 2-3 Class Structure
By msmarybeth Comments: 7, member since Mon Sep 07, 2015
On Sun Aug 27, 2017 04:41 PM

I am working on lesson plans for ages 2-3 creative movement class. Does any one have suggestions on how to structure it?

5 Replies to Ages 2-3 Class Structure

re: Ages 2-3 Class Structure
By fabtapper Comments: 44, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Thu Aug 31, 2017 09:37 AM
I would recommend you stick to the same structure every week. Start with the same songs. End with the same songs - in the middle you can change things around a little but little ones like the predictable routines .
My 2 year old class is 30 minutes and it is a creative movement class ( which is more age appropriate )
I put out props in the beginning to get them feeling comfortable entering the room by themselves. One week hula hoops, another week beach balls etc.
We all put away the props and Then we sit on poly dots in a circle sing our hello or welcome song and then do some stretches to music - like head shoulders knees and toes. Butterfly/pizza etc.
Then we do fun action songs around the room - about 3 in a row - before we come back to our spots and do some plies and releves (all with songs) .
Then we get out props- one week it will be scarves, another shakers, bean bags, teddy bears etc ( there are songs that go with every single one of these ).
We take turns doing chasees across the floor with our prop ( to put it away)
Come back to our spots for a goodbye song.

It is an intense 30 mins b/c you cannot really stop and have too much downtime. And you have to be prepared to switch things up if your class is not responding well to a song or activity you are doing.
Good Luck - it is so much fun and they are just so gosh darn cute!!!
On Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 PM
Thank you! That is very helpful! Do you have any song suggestions? I have some songs, but could always use new ideas!
By fabtapper Comments: 44, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Thu Aug 31, 2017 06:46 PM
Happy to help! Check out Greg and Steve.Kimbo Kids. Hap Palmer. Laurie Berkner. The Wiggles and any Pre school circle time songs. PM me if you need more info...
By danceydance Comments: 2, member since Sun Sep 10, 2017
On Sun Sep 10, 2017 09:09 PM
2-3 year olds are a difficult, but very rewarding age to teach! As a general rule of thumb, however old the child is will usually indicate how long they can focus on an activity. You will have the most success if you switch often from one thing to the next. I have found that making lesson plans with time estimates keeps my classes on track.

For example, this is a lesson plan outline I made this summer for an hour-long dance sampler for 3-5 year olds. Of course the duration for each activity is only an estimate as you can never predict emergencies like potty breaks. This day was animal themed:

1. Greeting and attendance with question ("what's your favourite animal?") - 5 minutes
2. Hello song - 1 minute
3. Game ('let's go on an adventure through the jungle' using interpretive animal movements; for example, 'let's swing our arms like monkeys') - 3 minutes
4. Circle time with slow stretches (butterfly, frog, and pike stretches, etc) - 4 minutes
5. Song and dance ("Let's Go to the Zoo" by Super Simple Songs; utilize interpretive movement - for example, stomp feet for lyrics "stomp like the elephants do" ) - 4 minutes
6. At the barre (introductory ballet movements like plies) - 5 minutes
7. Free dance with prop (fairy wings) - 7 minutes
8. Song and dance ("Shake Your Sillies Out" by The Wiggles; this song is great for following directions!) - 2 minutes
9. Circle time with high energy movement (jumping jacks, scissor jumps, flamingo balances, etc) - 4 minutes
10. Stretching game ('making a pizza') - 3 minutes
11. Across the floor ('run fast like a cheetah', 'hop like a rabbit', 'walk on tippy toes with arms up high like a giraffe', etc) - 5 minutes
12. Percussion with rhythm stick (tapping slow and fast and counting to 8) - 3 minutes
13. Freeze dance ("You're Welcome" by Dwayne Johnson) - 3 minuets
14. Goodbye song - 1 minute
15. Stickers and dismissal

If you have any other questions ask away and I'll do my best to answer. Best of luck to you!
On Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 AM
Thank you! You've been very helpful!!!

ReplySendWatch