Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
Custom made dresses
By Heart7026 Comments: 19, member since Fri Dec 11, 2015
On Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 PM

Hiya,
I am a dancer currently in prelim and was considering buying a new solo dress, I currently have one that I am the third or fourth owner of.
What dressmakers would you recommend? What sort of range are
Prices for the finished product? Are small designers better to go to than big names?
Any info greatly appreciated
Thank you!!

1 Replies to Custom made dresses

re: Custom made dresses
By rosalinde Comments: 1974, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Wed Aug 30, 2017 03:48 AM
What designer you should go for depends on what you like. I tell my dancers to add dressmakers on Facebook and follow them - even though there are definite trends that they all follow, each designer has their own signature look. Find out what you like. A Pinterest board works well too.

As for prices, expect $1000 and up for a custom dress. Big names tend to charge more, but solos are never cheap.

As for going for small names or big names really depends on what you want. Neither is a guarantee for perfection (my 2010 Elevation was a perfect fit and I have nothing but good to say, but I have also heard stories to the opposite), so really it depends on what you like. Some people prefer to 'help' small name designers, others like the professionalism that comes with big names. I loved Elevation when I decided it was time to go custom when I was in Intermediate-Open, so I went for them (and paid 1200 pounds + crystals). Before that I wore home-made dresses.
Small name designers tend to have shorter or non-existent waiting lists, big name popular designers are often booked up for months or more. But if you are not in a hurry either will work.

Good luck with your decision, I loved the process (even when it was a little nerve-wracking because of the money involved), and it was amazing to unpack that dress that was made especially for me! :D

ReplySendWatch