Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
adult ballet classes disappearing?
By rmdanceguy1 Comments: 907, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Sun Sep 03, 2017 07:58 AM
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2017-09-03 08:04:43 to clarify
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2017-09-03 08:05:15 to clarify

I am an adult recreational male dancer who wants to get back into ballet classes. But I am finding some adult ballet classes are becoming barre fit classes. In my experiences over the last 10 or so years there have been times in my adult ballet classes came down to just me showing up week after week which my studio often cancelled class so I am used to the ups and downs of adult ballet attendance. However, I did not think they would be replaced all together. Do any of you know what the differences are? I really want ballet again, but am willing to give it a try to some ballet in my classes. Thanks.

5 Replies to adult ballet classes disappearing?

re: adult ballet classes disappearing?
By hummingbird Comments: 10425, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Sep 03, 2017 08:35 AM
If you really want a ballet class then I don't think you're going to enjoy Barre Fitness classes, I could be wrong but they're not ballet classes. Having said that they're a very good work out, I know, I teach a few of them.

The real problem with any adult classes are that life happens to us all and whilst we'll make sure our kids get to their activities we're not so good at looking after our own wants or needs. This means that by the end of the season it's just the old faithfuls turning up each week and the class isn't financially viable.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4732, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:35 AM
I can understand your point. The SO at the studio where I've taught ballet and Scottish highland dance held a Ladies jazz and exercise class, which was mostly fitness with a bit of jazz in it. I attended this class starting in the winter of '95. When I began to attend the class, there were quite a few ladies in the class. I couldn't help noticing that over the next five years, it dwindled down to the point where she had only one paying customer left in the class. She decided to cancel the classes altogether, since it didn't make sense to keep the class going for only one paying customer.
On Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:18 AM
I know it is sad and dissappointing as some adults like me who really want to take as much classes as we can because we want to go as far as we can even if it only results in dancing in local ballet performances such as the nutcracker or other performances. I completely understand the life issues that keep us adults from class as they happen to me.
On Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 AM
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2017-09-03 11:40:32 change a double post
Edited by rmdanceguy1 (145782) on 2017-09-03 11:44:31
Being the only guy in class is an advantage as I also have met some of the most beautiful and amazing ladies in class. I have tried to get some of the mothers of kids at the studio who have expressed interest in adult ballet classes.
On Sun Sep 03, 2017 04:34 PM
I wanted to clarify. I meant I tried to get more people to comtto class. I even had a few mothers of kids who took class at the studio I attend came to me and expressed interest in coming to class while one lady was complimentary of me being a male ballet student. I know it is hard to come to class when life happens.

ReplySendWatch