Forum: Highland / Highland

Highland - General
New Sock Design Quest
By Bril Comments: 162, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Wed Sep 20, 2017 04:29 PM

Due to an attack of moths (which apparently is still a real problem), I need to make another pair of dance socks. I can't stand making the same ones twice so I'm looking for new options. The original, properly matching ones are quite dark and I feel like my foot gets lost without any contrast.

The tartan is Bruce (not dress Bruce of Kinnaird, the good old fashioned non dress tartan).

My jacket is dark green, and I prefer if green and red are both present, the green is more prominent, or at least equal to the red.

The stripes in the original are yellow and white and depending on the colours in the new socks I would either do just yellow or both again.

The red and green are each going to be marled with white to try to lighten up the background.

Any comments or ideas will be gladly welcomed!

Pictures in a couple posts cause my phone has a super duper camera.

18 Replies to New Sock Design Quest

re: New Sock Design Quest
On Wed Sep 20, 2017 04:32 PM
Option one
On Wed Sep 20, 2017 04:33 PM
Option two
On Wed Sep 20, 2017 04:34 PM
Option three
By kinsidhe Comments: 252, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Thu Sep 21, 2017 06:51 AM
Have you thought about perhaps a design with a split diamond with one of your main colours and the red or green? I think the whole white diamonds might be too much white for the tartan. Do you have a photo of the actual tartan/kilt?
On Thu Sep 21, 2017 01:36 PM
That's my kilt. It's not a great picture. The tartan is more red than green but we went with the military style pleats on the back which show mostly green.

I hadn't thought about the white diamonds being too much, although I can't really think of any way to lighten up the socks without adding white.
By kinsidhe Comments: 252, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Thu Sep 21, 2017 02:32 PM
I've just read what I wrote and realised I missed out a word so I didn't make sense!

So, what I was suggesting is:
In order to get white into your socks to lighten them up but not be overwhelming, as there isn't much white in the kilt is to do split diamonds with White and one of your main colours.

Perhaps your third design, but just add turn the white whole diamonds into Red/White Split diamonds. Especially since the white line in the kilt goes predominantly through the red.

Maybe do up a swatch of your favourite designs and see what ones you like best?

Lovely kilt!
By Skyesbridge Comments: 322, member since Sun Feb 01, 2009
On Thu Sep 21, 2017 04:30 PM
I too am in the same design thought with Kinsidhe.
Red/White split Diamond
Green Diamond
then maybe just a Yellow strip though the whole sock?

Best of Luck with your final decision!

Hope we get to see them when they're done :)
On Thu Sep 21, 2017 04:36 PM
That makes so much more sense! And I really like that idea. It would tie in the white in the marl without it being too.... white lol.
It's such a difficult tartan to match to anything. The red is actually a really cold blueish red and the green is a much warmer forest. They really don't go together at all! And yellow... It's a shade that clashes with the red and the green! But that's us Bruces in a nutshell haha.
I'll post pictures for sure and I'm happy to update on the progress or answer any assembly questions.
By emmyport Comments: 914, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 PM

I just mocked up an idea here. Don't be intimidated by my beautiful illustrated marl hahaha :D
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3227, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sat Sep 23, 2017 01:49 AM
Personally, I'd go easy on the white, simply because the tartan has hardly any white in it (from the audience it might be really hard to tell it's there at all?), and I'd be afraid that using a lot of white in the hose might make the hose look like they don't match the kilt. (I have been accused before of being too "matchy-matchy"...) (I would also be afraid that adding significant amounts of white would make the hose look too "Christmas-y" since it seems it's hard to avoid that with red/green tartans anyway, but I feel like your original hose do a nice job of avoiding that look.)

To me it seems like it's the green that most makes you lose contrast with the shoe, not the red? Ideal would be to make the green a split diamond with the red, rather than using it with the red in a marl, but of course those are the only two main colors, so there's nothing else you could use with the red to make an actual argyle sock.

I wonder, if you split the green diamonds with red (leave the red diamonds as-is), if that might not make a difference while still leaving the hose cohesive with the kilt. And if you could adjust the red-green marl so there is more red than green (I'm not sure how many plies your yarn is, but, for example, if it's 4, splitting it so your marl has three singles of red and one of green, rather than 2 of each), to make the green more subtle. Or you could even add white to the marling, perhaps-- 2 plies of red, 1 of green, 1 of white? That would add a bit of white while not being overpowering, perhaps.
On Mon Sep 25, 2017 02:13 PM
Emmyport and Katja thank you for your ideas!
I'll have to draw them out since I'm a pretty visual person.

I hear what you are saying about the green blending with the shoe. The problem is, red really isn't my colour, and...I just don't like it lol. I wear the tartan for my family and heritage but given the choice I wouldn't pick these colours.

And the white stripe and the yellow look exactly the same from a distance.

I don't have the yarn yet but I think it's usually four plys. I just ordered a drop spindle so I can marl whatever my patience allows haha...
On Mon Sep 25, 2017 09:55 PM

Here's one with more green :)

This is fun! I can't wait to see what you make in the end!
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3227, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Sep 28, 2017 06:35 AM
Edited by Katja144 (137399) on 2017-09-28 06:40:00

Bril wrote:

Emmyport and Katja thank you for your ideas!
I'll have to draw them out since I'm a pretty visual person.

I hear what you are saying about the green blending with the shoe. The problem is, red really isn't my colour, and...I just don't like it lol. I wear the tartan for my family and heritage but given the choice I wouldn't pick these colours.

And the white stripe and the yellow look exactly the same from a distance.

I don't have the yarn yet but I think it's usually four plys. I just ordered a drop spindle so I can marl whatever my patience allows haha...

Plying/marling should go pretty quickly, I think.

Okay, I have finally managed a visual. Imagine the part with the hatching as being the marled bit. (I could not manage to add white with my program, though, but imagine a subtle bit of white if you'd like to add it.)

(I know what you mean about the tartan. While sometimes I wish I was Scottish, sometimes I'm glad I'm not because I keep thinking, "but what if I hated my family tartan??")
On Thu Sep 28, 2017 06:38 AM

Oops. Forgot to add the second image (and editing won't let me edit the images...). Different arrangement of the split diamonds (so there isn't red touching red).
On Thu Sep 28, 2017 02:21 PM
I love all these ideas!

Katja-I think the second one looks more traditional. Having the red diamonds touch looks kind of like a vertical stripe instead of squares.

Emmyport- I like all the green in your last version but seeing it next to the red/green marl (which looks so much more like the tartan) I don't know if it matches enough.

Hmmm! So many choices! I need more kilts so I can make them all haha
re: New Sock Design Quest (karma: 1)
On Thu Sep 28, 2017 04:58 PM
You may need to get some practice yarn and knit up some red, green, white, and marl diamonds so you can play with it with actual pieces! :)
On Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 AM
So to make it more complicated...
Here's a pair of socks that I knit as the original replacement to the dark matchy matchy ones.

The colours were dyed to match and they are pretty much perfect (the original sock was just from a wool store).

For reasons I won't discuss they are falling apart and I never got to wear them, but they show the green/white and red/white marls pretty well.

The tartan between the socks is what the apron looks like, and the tartan to the right is folded to show the green like the back of the kilt.
On Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 AM

Also because I want to humble brag (no let's be honest it's a full on brag)...

Look at the shaping on the back! No fully fashioned hose math nonsense here!

I think I measured every inch of my leg when I was knitting them and made sure the colours continued far enough into the heel of my shoe nothing showed.

ReplySendWatch