Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
How often to do intense stretches?
By EmSara Comments: 1, member since Tue Sep 26, 2017
On Wed Sep 27, 2017 02:54 PM

So I've been dancing for about 10 years, I'm 26 years old - I don't really dance professionally, but I'm serious enough about it that I dance with a couple small companies, and spend mostly of my free time on dancing. I am naturally a pretty flexible person - I am actually hypermobile in many of my joints, but I've never quite had my splits (in any direction). My hips, although quite flexible by normal people standards, are probablyRecently though I've decided I really want to improve that flexibility and get all my splits down. I do light stretching 5-6 days a week, in conjunction with whatever classes I am taking. I also have about an hour long stretching routine, that I have tried again and again to do every single day, but it's just impossible for me to fit an intense stretching session in every day (I have a 40 hour a week job). Most of the time I find that I can stick to it for about two weeks, but then something gets in the way and I miss a couple days and then I feel disheartened and stop stretching entirely for about a month, until I feel like trying to fit an hour of stretching into my daily routine again.

So I'm wondering if I might be able to reach my flexibility goals by doing a long intense stretching session only three times a week, if I'm doing other more gentle stretching on the other days? I'm just so tired of getting a really good start on stretching consistently only to have it fall apart when I have to give more attention to other parts of my life! I know I won't be able to reach contortion-like flexibility with this kind of schedule, I just want enough to improve my lines, extension and turn out a bit.

ReplySendWatch