Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
Central PA Youth Ballet Summer Intensive Review HELP
By lindsay49 Comments: 1, member since Sun Oct 01, 2017
On Sun Oct 01, 2017 08:24 PM
Edited by lindsay49 (294981) on 2017-10-01 20:36:00

Hi! I'm 15 and started ballet 2 years ago at age 13. I absolutely love it and have been called extremely good for a late starter by fellow dancers and my teachers so I feel like I have a good foundation of talent even if I don't have the 8+ years in experience. I also just recently went on pointe in August (2 months ago). However, I can already do pique turns, double pique turns (sometimes), step-overs, single pirouettes from fifth and fourth, and I have high arches and flexible feet so getting over my box isn't a problem. Lastly, I have also been called a very graceful dancer. This info is just to give you guys an idea what type of dancer I am! This summer I really want to attend a Summer Intensive that is 4-6 weeks, preferably away from home, to learn more and get better (particularly strengthen my technique and pointe work) and I live in the Southern/Western CT area. I was looking into some SIs and came across CPYB. I want a honest, in-depth review by someone around my age who went to CPYB recently. If you have and would like to help me out, include the following in your response:

Were the levels accurate in placement? (most of the time)

Were the girls who were late starters (beginners and older) placed in low levels with girls who were 2+ years younger?

If you go to a recreational studio or know anyone in your level who did, were they challenged too hard? (i.e. weren't prepared and didn't know the steps?)

Was it fun?

Did you learn a lot?

How many teachers did you get throughout your time there?

Was the class extremely fast-paced?

Were the other girls friendly?

How big was your class?

What did you do during breaks? Were the studios open for free use during the breaks?

Was the food in the cafeteria (or wherever everyone ate) good?

Did you feel like the classes were extremely rigorous and aggressive? Or was the environment nurturing?

What style of ballet was taught? (Russian, Balanchine, RAD, French, Cechetti?)

Did teachers give specific corrections to most kids in the class?

What kind of floors were in the studios? Were they slippery?Marley?

How big were the studios? Quality of studios?

How many studios were there?

What was the quality of the dorm rooms? Explain the living situation.

What was the routine of the first week of classes?

Was there a variations class?

I heard some things about the classes being very slow and nitpicky in the beginning but do you eventually get to harder stuff, combos, and learning new things/variations?

Sorry for the many questions, hope that someone can answer most of them!!! If not, just answer the ones you can, that would be awesome!!! Thank you so much!

2 Replies to Central PA Youth Ballet Summer Intensive Review HELP

re: Central PA Youth Ballet Summer Intensive Review HELP
By melissaga Comments: 325, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Wed Oct 04, 2017 08:50 PM
CPYB sounds like a great choice for you. No auditions, just send photos and placement by what you need to work on without regard to age.

No personal experience. If you register for the Ballet Talk for Dancers message board, you will find many reviews of this program. As a warning, it is a heavily moderated board with rules, so look around and get the lay of the land there before posting. It is moderated by professionals in the field. You do need an ISP based email to register (no gmail, yahoo or hotmail but AOL and any apple email will work)
re: Central PA Youth Ballet Summer Intensive Review HELP
By so_devine Comments: 6, member since Thu Feb 16, 2017
On Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:10 PM
Were the levels accurate in placement? (most of the time)
I loved the level I was in and I think they really know what they are doing as far as levels go because they really want you to improve.
Were the girls who were late starters (beginners and older) placed in low levels with girls who were 2+ years younger?
I'm not really sure but I know that the levels are based on ability and what you need to work on. For example, there was one 13 year old and one 17 year old, but mostly everyone was around 15 (I was 14). Also, the level number don't mean anything. I was in D4 but someone in C5 could have been the exact same level as me.
If you go to a recreational studio or know anyone in your level who did, were they challenged too hard? (i.e. weren't prepared and didn't know the steps?)
I really don't know but I think they will put you in the right level where you are challenged but not completely overwhelmed.
Was it fun?
it was SO MUCH FUN!!! I made amazing friends and we had such a great time.
Did you learn a lot?
I learned a lot! Our level was really focused on alignment and strength. Make sure you bring a notebook so you can write down all the corrections! That was really helpful for me.
How many teachers did you get throughout your time there?
Probably around 25! Some we would have only once, but some we would have twice a week!
Was the class extremely fast-paced?
no. the classes are so slow, especially your first class of the day. Sometimes we wouldn't even get off the barre, but I ended up liking the slow pace because you got to learn a lot more.
Were the other girls friendly?
Yes, definitely. I made so many friends, and because the levels aren't in order, you never feel like you are better or worse than anyone else.
How big was your class?
I think around 15-18, can't remember though.
What did you do during breaks? Were the studios open for free use during the breaks?
No, the studios aren't open because the classes work in shifts. During breaks you eat lunch or just hang out i guess and stretch.
Was the food in the cafeteria (or wherever everyone ate) good?
I think it was really good! They had so many options and they do have a Kosher/Vegan section too.
Did you feel like the classes were extremely rigorous and aggressive? Or was the environment nurturing?
Some teachers were really tough but in a good way. I don't think I had any teachers who were outright mean. (maybe melinda but i only had her once for night class and she was pretty nice anyway)
What style of ballet was taught? (Russian, Balanchine, RAD, French, Cechetti?)
It really depends on the teacher. There were so many different teachers and some were REALLY russian but some were REALLY balanchine
Did teachers give specific corrections to most kids in the class?
Yes, definitely. They gave class corrections but definitely a lot of personal ones too.
What kind of floors were in the studios? Were they slippery?Marley?
I honestly can't remember. I don't remember them being bad though.
How big were the studios? Quality of studios?
The studios were really big, the only bad studio was Allison, which didn't have mirrors.
How many studios were there?
14 in the warehouse, 4 in the barn, plus the HUB studio and the Allison studio. So that makes 20 studios.
What was the quality of the dorm rooms? Explain the living situation.
The dorm rooms were pretty nice, I had a triple room. It was so much fun.
What was the routine of the first week of classes?
I had my first class from 9-1030, then i would get lunch, come back to the studios for the second technique class which was usually faster paced, from 12-130. Then I would walk to Allison Hall for pointe from 3-4. then you can either go to a supplementary class like pilates or yoga (if you signed up and paid) at maybe 6, and the optional night class is from 645-8.
Was there a variations class?
Not specifically, but in some pointe classes towards the end of the session they would do a variation. It depended on the teacher.
I heard some things about the classes being very slow and nitpicky in the beginning but do you eventually get to harder stuff, combos, and learning new things/variations?
Yes. Also you can ask a specific teacher for a private.

ReplySendWatch