Forum: General / Welcome

Welcome
How do u teach kids who don't know lefy from right?
By mimusisj Comments: 1, member since Mon Sep 23, 2013
On Sun Oct 08, 2017 01:49 PM

Hey friends!

I was just wondering if anyone has any input/advice on teaching kids who continually don't understand their left from their right, both foot and hand..

I don't want to slow the whole class down for a few students, but i also don't want to ignore those who are sincerely trying, but just lack coordination. Any suggestions? Thx!

5 Replies to How do u teach kids who don't know lefy from right?

re: How do u teach kids who don't know lefy from right?
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10716, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Sun Oct 08, 2017 03:33 PM
Put a red ribbon on their left arm and a green ribbon on the right hand.
Then whenever you speak of left, you say "red left" and when you speak of green you say "green right".
Other colours work the same of course, these are just examples.
By rosalinde Comments: 1977, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:02 AM
A school I know wears a red ribbon or similar around their right ankle (all levels and ages do so). I don't know why they also do so in the higher levels and ages, but it is done to indicate what's the right foot.
By hummingbird Comments: 10435, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 AM
I use landmarks in the room. Door, ballet barre, windows, mirrors, there's always something you can use that's already there.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34904, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Oct 09, 2017 09:16 PM
Landmarks are good. Stickers are too. Put stickers on one foot, but not the other one, then tell the kids to "use their sticker foot". Look for something on their outfits - I have one girl who to this day struggles with right/left (she'll be 18 in February. Yes, really), but she's also got a habit of wearing mismatched socks, so I'll go "The green foot", or "The pink one", or whatever. I had a girl a few years ago that I'm not convinced outright struggled, as I think she just didn't pay enough attention to figure it out, and she always wore shorts with designs on one leg, so I'd go "The leg with the designs on it...", and that solved that part.
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10716, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Tue Oct 10, 2017 03:15 PM
All these methods work, however I find it important to always use the words left and right in combination with the ribbons/stickers/landmarks/whatever. Because this way they do not even know what direction you´re talking about, but they will also slowly learn to differ left and right.

ReplySendWatch