Forum: Highland / Highland - Championships

Highland - Championships
Reply to the Championship/Premiership 2018 post
By Bril Comments: 166, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Sun Oct 15, 2017 05:12 PM

It was too old to reply to.

I found a couple YouTube videos of the steps/methods for the flora and Earl (I don't have my books with me for the jig and Scotch measure right now)

For the flora (SDTA):
youtu.be . . .
For the under twelves, watch the girl on the right, everyone else is the girl on the left.

Main differences between methods I've found just looking quickly:
- the curtsey has to be on the 1/2 point, not ball.
-as mentioned the point in the introduction goes to 4th and then opens to 4th int on count one of the hop brush beat beat.
-as mentioned in the first step there is no round the leg movement.
-other than the obvious turning steps, there is no body turn. No shoulder leads no nothing. PDB step I'm looking at you!
-from the SDTA book, the beauty of the dance comes from its simplicity and flourishes such as sharp round the leg movements are discouraged. This really shows up in the backstep and travel with the "soft spring" to second.

For the Earl (UKA) I couldn't find one magical video with all the options.

youtu.be . . .
Under twelves, watch the girl on the right, 12-16 watch the girl on the left.

youtu.be . . .
Over sixteen: the girl on the left does the second step, the girl on the middle the third step. Don't watch them for the first step though, just the two middle steps.

Other than the note listed in the first step about the change of feet, I couldn't find any major differences... Except:

-the curtsey can be done on the ball of the left foot OR 1/2 point!

I'd love to hear any other notes and I'll go through the Scotch measure later.

Side note: I just YouTube searched public videos. If any of them are someone you know/minds having them up I'll switch them out.

Also watch at your own discretion. And trust your own teacher haha.

6 Replies to Reply to the Championship/Premiership 2018 post

re: Reply to the Championship/Premiership 2018 post
By kinsidhe Comments: 253, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Mon Oct 16, 2017 07:56 PM
Thanks this is great.
We've been introduced to the Flora ( new for me as I am BATD) and the Earl. These are coming along quite nicely for me,

But OH I am having a difficult time with the two new Cross-over steps! I find both challenging enough to learn, but trying to learn both at the same time and not mix them up ACH! my poor brain. :(
On Mon Oct 16, 2017 08:54 PM
It's a challenge for sure!

I do like that they've allowed a fair amount of freedom in some of the other steps though. Like not specifying which arms in the ST or brush pattern etc.

For the crossover with pause...I don't suppose they'd allow us to pause the working foot only? I'm going to have so much trouble just... Stopping in the middle of a step.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 218, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Fri Oct 20, 2017 08:38 PM
So many changes this year! For the flora, the second step (syncopated hop) must be done travelling in the circle, still on the half point and travelling towards 4th intermediate. Also in the backstep and travel it is not a backstep but a ronde movement following the shuffles so the working foot does not come into contact with the supporting leg. Another thing to add with the step is that when the working foot is brought into third after the travel to second, it is placed on the half point, not the full point. Some changes in the Earl: the first break in the first step (this step only!) must be danced without a change in the first assemble, so it's danced as- Assemble, out Assemble (foot in front) change, change. In the over 16s the second step, double treble, must be danced travelling in an oval shape. The third step, hop and travel is danced with minimal travel on the bouree while turning. As for the last step, it has to be danced with no leaps, even for boys! All this was told to us at the BATD conference but I might be missing a few things as these are still new steps. Good luck with 2018 everyone! :)
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3228, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 AM
That oval in the double treble step of Earl is going to kill me! I never travel on double treble anyway, so it's doubly different...
On Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 AM
Oh that one is so hard on my brain haha! The first double treble is okay. It makes sense. It's the second one where you are traveling backwards to go forwards that's the issue.
By highlandlassie Comments: 2896, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:20 PM
It might help if you think of the oval as a hot dog shape. That's how we always thought of it! I find the movements lend to a hot dog shape pretty naturally - if you're used to moving on the double trebles that is.

ReplySendWatch