Forum: Irish / Irish Dance Music

Irish Dance Music
Hornpipe timing
By bgcatp Comments: 5, member since Sat Oct 14, 2017
On Mon Oct 16, 2017 05:49 PM

My hornpipe timing has been a struggle for me and I get comments from judges saying that my timing is off. This is kind of hard to explain, but I'll try to make it simple. I just learned a new hornpipe from my main teacher. I've been having privates with a professional teacher who doesn't know my exact steps but says that my timing is good. I just started having privates with a different assistant teacher (bc my other is away) who does know my steps, but she says that my timing is waaay off. Should I listen to the professional who comes from outside without knowing my steps and corrected the timing the assistant teacher gave me, or to the assistant who actually knows my steps? If anyone has tips on hornpipe timing it would be greatly appreciated as well.

2 Replies to Hornpipe timing

re: Hornpipe timing
By Claramel Comments: 38, member since Tue Oct 13, 2015
On Tue Oct 17, 2017 04:04 PM
If you've had a few comments that your timing is off then it probably is. Do they say how/why it isn't right? A good teacher will tell you why it isn't right. E.g. I always tend to fall a bit behind in my hornpipe, I can't tell I'm doing it but there's a slight delay between the music beat and my sound. My teacher always draws my attention to it when it happens so I can try to be 'on' the beat. Sometimes it's also putting more weight or emphasis behind certain beats or holding something slightly longer or shorter. Saying the rhythm to yourself can really help.
re: Hornpipe timing
By bgcatp Comments: 5, member since Sat Oct 14, 2017
On Tue Oct 17, 2017 06:55 PM
The assistant teacher is telling me that I'm making my hornpipe too even, almost like a treble jig. I am trying to listen to more hornpipes so that I can hear the "swing" in the music.

ReplySendWatch