Forum: General

Teachers - General
advice for a new dance teacher
By RMDance17 Comments: 1, member since Thu Oct 26, 2017
On Thu Oct 26, 2017 07:58 AM

I am just starting up my own dance sessions which will be fun, street style, dances to children's popular pop songs. I am not sure where I stand in teaching the children basic acro tricks such cartwheels etc. Do I need mats to teach these?

Also any other advice you can give me before I start my dance sessions would be amazing, like creative ideas, cheap marketing, liability/insurance tips.

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies to advice for a new dance teacher

re: advice for a new dance teacher
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34913, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Oct 29, 2017 06:18 PM
Don't teach tricks if you're not stone cold confident you can do them. Lots can go wrong when people are dropped on their heads!

And YES, if you're doing tricks, you need mats. They're $$, another reason to not jump in that far, that fast.
By pinktights27 Comments: 427, member since Thu Mar 01, 2007
On Mon Oct 30, 2017 08:18 AM
If you don't know you need mats to teach acro and tricks, you should not be teaching these things.This is both a safety and liability issue.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6853, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Oct 30, 2017 04:49 PM
I strongly suggest you do NOT teach acro until you have taken some "How To" classes on teaching them.

Dance Teacher Web offers several very good ones at their annual conference every summer. I got my certifications from Dance Educators of America...and it was over the course of 3 years....but Charles Kelley taught it and sadly he just passed away. Their curriculum was very good. You might check it out. If not, Acrobatic Arts has a program for purchase as well.

You might consider hiring a teacher from a gymnastics school if you are not qualified yourself.

And YES>......You need mats. And be VERY careful with young children, especially under 4.

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch