Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
Great turnout... but only face down! :S
By PhonenixDance Comments: 3, member since Thu Oct 26, 2017
On Mon Oct 30, 2017 01:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm about to turn 34 and have recently resumed my ballet lessons after many many years. By the way, I thought about posting at the Welcome section in the first place, but it seems to be pretty much dead...

I already knew that my turnout leaves a lot to be desired, and that's why last week I was pretty shocked to find out that I can go way down when doing the inverted frog (I don't know if I just made up the name or if you actually call it this, I mean the frog pose lying on your stomach).

My toes are partially in touch all the time (not my entire feet yet), my ankles are in contact with the floor, and my buttocks go really deep, it seems they will reach the floor in no time. My teacher was quite surprised too but seems not to have an explanation for this. Once I stand up again, it all seems to vanish. I find it so hard to keep a decent turnout during the barre and center work!

So I was wondering if someone could throw some light on this matter... any piece of advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I'm excited to finally be a part of this community, even if apparently it is not as full of life as it used to be.

Greetings from Spain!

2 Replies to Great turnout... but only face down! :S

re: Great turnout... but only face down! :S
By netmum Comments: 481, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Wed Nov 01, 2017 07:44 AM
You can have excellent natural turnout but not have a good working turnout due to not yet having the strength to maintain it.
re: Great turnout... but only face down! :S
By PhonenixDance Comments: 3, member since Thu Oct 26, 2017
On Thu Nov 02, 2017 04:42 AM
Hi, thank you for your reply. I guess it's all a matter of strength, then... I'll keep working on it.

ReplySendWatch