Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
need advice!!!
By notjogirl Comments: 1, member since Wed Aug 23, 2017
On Tue Oct 31, 2017 06:56 PM

Today my studio owner told me that the parents of my elementary lyrical team do not like the song I chose (You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban) and think it is too mature. The age range on my team is 10-13, I think it is 100% appropriate for their age. I have already choreographed more than half of this routine and my dance studio owner doesn't seem to have my back. Instead of taking my side the owner said she'll bring in 2 new song choices next week and let the dancers pick. Since when do parents/ dancers get a say in song choices???? I already told her that I am not willing to change the song and am not going to start a brand new routine this late into the season. This feels like a stab in the back because I offered to teach multiple classes for her when one of her teachers quit to open a new studio. Also the studio owner only gives me $15 a month to teach 5 classes a week when I have more dance experience than any other teacher at the studio. I am just fed up and do not know what I should do. Any advice?????

3 Replies to need advice!!!

re: need advice!!!
By netmum Comments: 481, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Wed Nov 01, 2017 07:42 AM
Are they for real?

This is a song that works on so many levels. For those who beleive in magic men in the sky it has an almost religious element to it. For those who are young it can denote the inspirational influence of a teacher/coach or loving parent/grandparent.

And for some it could denote a romantic relationship, a partner supporting the protagonist through everything.

However the studio owner is the boss and regardless of whether you or I think she has made a good or a bad call it is her studio and the buck stops with her/him. However you as a teacher can advise them that it is not possible to change at this late stage so the choice would be pulling the number, or continuing.

With regards to the money. I'm in the UK so don't know what that equates to but $15 seems extrordinarily low. How many hours does that cover? Is there a minimum wage where you are? At my centre all teachers are paid the same as the feeling is that regardless of experience they perform the same job, only the manager and class assistants/trainees are paid a different rate.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34916, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Nov 01, 2017 08:21 AM
So...may I assume that these are some of the greatest dancers known to mankind, that you would accept a pay rate of less than $1/hour to work with them? Less then 50 cents an hour, by the time you add in the planning hours?

Oh. They're probably not worth all that?

You know your options. Quit, and deal with the (temporary) black mark on your resume for quitting in the middle of the season, or stay, and deal with the (not going away, full time, all the time) black mark of a director who's willing to flip the script on a moments notice, when the whims of the parents suit her.

You know your choices. You know the reasonable option. You just have to get brave enough to do it.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6854, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 PM
Are you the only teacher in this class? 5 classes a week for $15.00 per month doesn't seem right in any world unless she believes you are an "assistant". ...who in many places don't get paid at all. BTW...$15.00 a month is pretty close to not getting paid at all. I doubt it covers your transportation, tights, or bottled water.

Are you a student who gets free tuition in exchange for assisting?

Regardless, every part of this stinks.

If you are not really a teacher in the eyes of the SO, she had not right to expect you to choose a song to start with. Obviously I know NOTHING about the particulars of this studio, but it is unlikely there is going to be much of a future there regardless of the outcome of this particular issue. You NEVER let the kids tell the teacher and the SO what to do.

If she had narrowed the choices down to two songs from the start and considered input from the kids, I can see a certain wisdom to that. I find when the kids like the song they work harder and feel a certain ownership over it. That said....the issue here is that your position is not respected by the SO.

Perhaps it is time for you to view the big picture and consider what is best for you. Where do you see yourself a year from now? If you believe you deserve more than what this SO is offering you, go find it.

I assume you are "of age", have all your clearances, and are employable beyond this studio? Do what is good for you and don't let people walk all over you. If you let them, they will.

Best of luck.

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*

ps By working for virtually nothing, you disrespect every other teacher who has invested decades of training and lots of $$ to get where they are. If people do this, those who deserve a fair wage will never get it because others will undercut them all the time.

ReplySendWatch