Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys in Ballet
Have any guys actually dance in a ballet performance as a adult
By stephen83 Comments: 22, member since Mon Mar 16, 2009
On Tue Oct 31, 2017 07:01 PM

Just curious what the experience was like for any of you. Have any of you done any amateur dancing in such ballets like Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker, Swan Lake or any other dances?

6 Replies to Have any guys actually dance in a ballet performance as a adult

re: Have any guys actually dance in a ballet performance as a adult
By Smart58 Comments: 37, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Fri Nov 03, 2017 01:57 AM
Yes I have, many times in Nutcracker and also in other performances of our school. It was always fun to work with all those young people. The only problem I had is that I did not have as much time for all the preparatory work as I do work full time. Next year I was selected to dance some part in our City theatre. I am looking forward to that.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 817, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:19 AM
The experience of presenting ballet on stage before an audience and in costume is different from that of attending adult classes; so it is a separate and different branch of ballet.

This is especially true of a story ballet versus an isolated number in a recital lineup of acts.
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 817, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Mon Nov 06, 2017 06:34 PM
The experience of presenting ballet on stage before an audience and in costume is different from that of attending adult classes; so it is a separate and different branch of ballet.

This is especially true of a story ballet versus an isolated number in a recital lineup of acts.
By stephen83 Comments: 22, member since Mon Mar 16, 2009
On Wed Nov 08, 2017 09:46 PM
Storm_trouper are you a guy and have you dance in any ballets I mention in my post?
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6362, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Nov 09, 2017 08:22 PM
Not as a dancer, but I have performed "The Nutcracker" in the pit orchestra 64 times playing violin. This was for a regional ballet in a Baltimore, MD suburb which was associated with a ballet school. Sadly the director of the school and the ballet company abruptly moved away. Among all the school-based "Nutcrackers" in the area, this was one of the few companies which used a live orchestra. We used the full score, the one used in symphonic performances, not the adaptation for a much smaller pit orchestra. We, in the orchestra, were very disappointed that the company closed. While we were paid an honorarium, most of the players who were not college students, donated our pay back to the company. Most of our players were also members of the Columbia Orchestra from Columbia, MD, a very high level group I played in at the time.
There appears to be no move to reconstitute the company. Most of us (including me) don't know the whole story of why the dance school director quit. When we started, this was a commercial dance studio which she owned. It then changed to a county sponsored activity housed in a arts center housed in a former elementary school which had a small theater, rehearsal space, art classes, an art gallery and it housed the administrative offices of several local arts groups including our orchestra. One of my best friends conducted the ballet orchestra. During the financial recession we were the only ballet company in the Baltimore-Washington Metro area which used a live orchestra, something noted by dance critics in the local press. These critics actually shamed major professional companies into resuming the use of live orchestras for their productions at the Kennedy Center and other major theaters. We played in local high school auditoriums.
By cissp Comments: 33, member since Mon Jan 03, 2005
On Mon Nov 20, 2017 01:29 PM
I loved dancing to a live orchestra, but the expense of live music and accompanied rehearsals made many productions loss leaders, even Nutcracker.

ReplySendWatch