Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Pas De Deux
Help! Can't find any place that teaches pas de deux!
By CinderEmma Comments: 148, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Wed Nov 08, 2017 09:04 AM

As a teenager, I had no interest in pas de deux. However, now as an adult, I wish to learn it. My friend also wishes to learn it as well. The problem is there doesn't seem to be anybody in the entire state of Iowa that teaches pas de deux. I refuse to accept the fact that someone living in Cedar Rapids, Iowa would literally have to move to another state if he/she wanted any hope of participating in pas de deux. Please help!

6 Replies to Help! Can't find any place that teaches pas de deux!

re: Help! Can't find any place that teaches pas de deux! (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6859, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Nov 08, 2017 09:37 AM
Contact a professional company or a University with a strong ballet program and see if they have a student who wants to do privates for you.

You might be surprised.

If that doesn't work, Angie and Steve at Dance Teacher Web have a great video and may be able to make a recommendation if you contact them through their website. I think the video is called Partnering Up.

www.danceteacherweb.com . . .

Good luck.

Keep On Dancing*
re: Help! Can't find any place that teaches pas de deux!
On Thu Nov 09, 2017 07:22 AM
Thank you Christine. (Karma!)
I still have further questions, though. Does anybody know what the nearest university to Cedar Rapids is? I know the university must be nearby, because I don't think any ballet instructor would travel out of state just to give a pas de deux lesson.
re: Help! Can't find any place that teaches pas de deux! (karma: 2)
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3041, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:38 AM
Wikipedia has a list for the whole state. en.wikipedia.org . . .
On Sat Nov 11, 2017 04:52 AM
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-11-11 05:01:35 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-11-11 05:03:43 spelling and grammar
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-11-11 05:05:22 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-11-11 05:08:54 relocating a sentense
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-11-11 05:10:26 additonal info
Edited by CinderEmma (277630) on 2017-11-11 05:13:29 Shorter post
Thank you for the Wikipedia tip, schuhplattler (Karma!) I looked through the wikipedia site a little bit but could not seem to find anything on pas de deux. Other dance studios in Iowa told my friend that "sadly, there are just not enough male ballet dancers in Iowa for Iowa to HAVE any successful pas de deux classes". The same appears to be true in the state I live in now so I have the same exact problem, but I can travel if I need to. However, my friend cannot because of all his other commitments in Cedar Rapids where he lives.

I find it unacceptable that ballet's popularity has diminshed to such a point that partnering is no longer taught anywhere in Eastern Iowa. Am I supposed to tell my friend "sorry but you're dreams of dancing pas de deux will never happen unless you start a completely new life in an entirely different state?" I just know that will totally break my friend's heart.

He has only just started ballet at the age of 35, and he has already fallen in love with it as I have...so much it is to a degree which is most unusual for someone who knows he has no future in dance. I greatly fear that he would rather give up ballet and hate it forever, than choose to accept that no matter how hard he works at ballet or no matter what he does, that he will never be able to dance with a ballet partner if he stays in Iowa. Do we really want to think of Iowa this way? Do we really want dancers to say "don't go to Iowa. Its opportunities for dancers are terrible"? I sure hope not.

I know ballet is full of brutal truths, but after two decades of ballet myself, I have learned that ANYTHING is possible as long as we don't give up. And I really want this for him because he has helped me so much in my past. If only there was maybe an Illinois pas-de-deux school right along the Iowa border in whixh a private teacher may be willing to drive from.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6859, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Nov 14, 2017 03:51 PM
Seriously look into attending the Dance Teacher's Web Conference in Vegas next summer.

I think Steve and Angie do a partnering class every year and they are really THE BEST.

ABT also has satellite schools....not sure about Iowa though....and they may be able to direct you.

If not...how about Dance Masters or Dance Educators of America? If any group knows of an intensive or workshop you two could attend, they would. Until then, tell your friend to start working on upper body strength. When I did my partnering classes, the guys did handstands against the wall and push ups from there. Every class started with good old fashioned "Marine" push ups for both guys and girls.

btw.... the "boy" in this video is none other than James Whiteside, principle at ABT....

Good luck

Keep On Dancing*
On Wed Nov 15, 2017 08:31 AM
I will definately look into all of this. Thank you so much for all of your help!

ReplySendWatch