Forum: Ask a Teacher

Ask a Teacher
need help teaching students who don't want to dance!
By strawberrysweet Comments: 2, member since Mon Nov 13, 2017
On Mon Nov 13, 2017 08:58 AM

Hi,

I recently started a new dance teaching job and I really need help to try and figure out teaching material.
I applied for a dance teacher's position, and only after I had been given the job was I informed that I was required to teach 16-18 year olds who have never danced before and have no interest in dance and most of them are at the school because they have failed in most subjects at school and this is a compulsory alternative learning program. I applied under the impression that I would only be teaching technique to older students who wanted to study dance, but was later told that I also needed to teach in the alternative learning program.
I have tried taking the creative route as opposed to teaching technical dance, because most students would have refused to join technical dance (most students come from rough backgrounds and can be very disrespectful towards staff and other students). I am running out of ideas very quickly, I have tried to devise tasks for the students to create movement in a way that they do not really realise that they are dancing until the very end of the class. This has worked at times but has had disastrous endings in some other classes. I do not have a particular curriculum to follow, the course content is completely up to me to figure out, and to be honest the person who taught before me also had a very tough time dealing with the students and left without giving me a handover.
Has anyone ever taught in a similar situation? I am at a complete loss as to how I can tech them something valuable that they might need later in life, perhaps enjoy the class and also to minimize abuse from the students.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

3 Replies to need help teaching students who don't want to dance!

re: need help teaching students who don't want to dance!
By rose5678 Comments: 35, member since Mon Sep 14, 2015
On Mon Nov 13, 2017 09:21 AM
Does the class have to be entirely movement based? You may find it easier to start them off with watching movies or tv shows and have them participate in discussions. The Step Up movies may be a good place to start.
re: need help teaching students who don't want to dance!
By strawberrysweet Comments: 2, member since Mon Nov 13, 2017
On Mon Nov 13, 2017 09:45 AM
Thank-you for your comment rose5678, yes it has to be movement based I'm afraid, and they also need to perform at the end of the year.
re: need help teaching students who don't want to dance! (karma: 1)
By Tishwah Comments: 587, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Tue Nov 14, 2017 04:15 AM
I teach in high schools, and I have worked with this kind of student in a school setting. You ask about teaching them skills that are valuble to these students later in life, for most of these kids, that isn't dance skills, it is respect for others, respect for self, taking turns, stepping up, taking safe risks (since we know in this type of program they have already taken unsafe risks like drugs etc), you just happen to be teaching it via dance, other schools do this kind of thing through classes in things like cooking, animal care etc. Think back to your teacher training at University, you need to treat this like a special ed class, because that is what it is, these kids may not be what we think of as a traditional special ed student (disabled, learning support needs etc), but in an alternative education system, they need a different type of education to the regular classroom, come at it from that perspective.

ReplySendWatch