Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
Wellness challenge ideas
By jms9t2 Comments: 43, member since Fri Mar 10, 2017
On Fri Nov 17, 2017 05:24 PM

We are thinking of doing some kind of wellness challenge for the teen students at my studio. So many of them lack energy, say they haven't eaten, hardly drink water, and don't get enough sleep. We thought an incentive program of some sort might be helpful or at least call some attention to a healthy lifestyle. We are trying to figure out the best way to implement this. Has anyone done anything like this or have any ideas?
Thanks!

5 Replies to Wellness challenge ideas

re: Wellness challenge ideas
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34923, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Nov 17, 2017 08:44 PM
I get the intention, and your heart is in the right place, but without the cooperation of at least one doctor, I'd do NOTHING. You presumably are not a pediatrician, this isn't your job.
On Mon Nov 20, 2017 09:09 PM
I think I'm seeing this from a different perspective. Can you say more about why you see this as a medical risk?
On Tue Nov 21, 2017 02:41 PM
I think I'm seeing this from a different perspective. Can you say more about why you feel this is a medical risk?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11338, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Nov 28, 2017 08:35 AM
I hardly think encouraging a child to get enough sleep or drink water requires the input of a doctor. We've had a Facebook group with a "committed club" that tracks things like sleep, water, practice time, even meditiation or self care (it changes every week). Older teens have Fitbits or Apple Watches that can track deep/light sleep, number of steps, etc. We have parents reporting their child's progress in the group for kids that are too young to have FB accounts. Maybe you could try something like this. It might be fun to have a graphical representation up at the studio, or assign points to each challenge completed that accumulate through the semester. Perhaps the winner of that week gets a certificate and a shoutout on your social media?

For nutrition, that's something I wouldn't try to do on my own and probably wouldn't design a challenge around. It might be helpful to bring in a registered dietitian and do a little workshop about different kinds of food (what is protein, what is a carb, what / when should I eat before class). Discuss in advance with your dietitian and make it positive ("this snack will give you more energy in class") and steer away from "good/bad" foods.
On Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 AM
Thank you! This is something like what we had in mind so your ideas are very helpful.

ReplySendWatch