Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
Tired of constantly having to buy and sew new pointe shoes
By CinderEmma Comments: 153, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Sat Nov 18, 2017 06:47 AM

I was just wondering why designers have yet to create a pointe shoe that lasts longer than a few weeks for me. Is it even possible for such a long-lasting pointe shoe to be made? Or does the dance market deliberately make pointe shoes that die quickly so we all have to keep buying more?

9 Replies to Tired of constantly having to buy and sew new pointe shoes

re: Tired of constantly having to buy and sew new pointe shoes
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 640, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun Nov 19, 2017 08:37 PM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2017-11-19 20:43:46
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2017-11-19 20:47:25
Ms. Emma, - Though I am not great student of dance history, my limited knowledge of point shoe construction is that the basic design and construction of Pointe Shoes (Pointe's) has not really ever changed that much in over a century (e.g. 100 years), and most likely even longer than that I am sure. Yes, maybe the glue/paste formulas, nails, leatherboard, lasts, stiching materials, satin, have improved a bit over time, but still the general assembly construction techniques and basic material "ingredients" (components),that go into a "maker" (custom creator person) constructing or mass production of Pointe Shoe construction remains the same as it always has been to this day.

The only "modern" additions that I can think of are the incorporation (addition if so desired by the dancer to suit her personal likings) of adding elastic's (straps) and now the Tarsal/Metatarsal elastics to points to help secure them better to the wearer's foot. Also maybe that dancers can get different stiffness for shank.

The only true moderinization of the Pointe Shoe that I am really aware of is Gaynor Mindon (GM's) incorporation and use of a modern athletic materials esp. a polymer material for the shank on it's Point Shoes that help them last longer before they go dead.

So there you now know all that I know,...which btw isn't much. But as an engineer I have a Geek'y historial interest in these sorta things.
re: Tired of constantly having to buy and sew new pointe shoes (karma: 2)
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 824, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:14 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:16:15
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:16:35
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:17:21
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:20:11
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:21:07
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:22:41
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:33:27
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:38:18
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2017-11-19 23:42:32
Maybe try google researching
when you find yourself getting too fed up...
or disillusioned about ballet related issues.

If you add
site:dance.net
after your search string values in google,
you can search the entire DDN history of posts
related to the items you want
to learn more about.

Look no further...
[click below for the
link to Gaynor Minden]
dancer.com . . .

It is not the ballet point shoe-making industry (the suppliers) that drives built-in product obsolescence,
It is the ballet performers (the consumers, or the “market”, the teachers, etc.) who demand the (painful) ritual and the subjective feel of satisfactorily breaking in their shoes... which are based on archaic technology arguably. Pointe shoe dancing is built upon a strict belief system that is sancrosanct some would argue, as well as having a highly symbolic value in some ways.
On Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:29 PM
Sarahdncr wrote:

Pointe Shoes (Pointe's)... Point Shoes...

Why is there an apostrophe?
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2271, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Mon Nov 20, 2017 05:27 AM
Storm_Trouper wrote:

Sarahdncr wrote:

Pointe Shoes (Pointe's)... Point Shoes...

Why is there an apostrophe?

Personally, I blame autocorrect. It often inserts things I would not insert! Lol!
re: Tired of constantly having to buy and sew new pointe shoes (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6871, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 AM
Sadly, except for GM's, this is the nature of the beast.

I thought I was paying the GM reps a compliment when I raved about how my students' shoes lasted over a year and they informed me it was dangerous to wear them so long.

According to the rep at the conference, in GM's the fabric is an important part of the structure and although the box does not deteriorate the way paste shoes "go dead", the fabric wears and does not do it's job properly. She told me the rule of thumb is that GM's will last approximately 2-1/2 times longer than most traditional shoes.

So.... if you get a month out of your Blochs, you can expect close to 3 from your GM's (I am stretching their formula as I take good care of mine and the fabric isn't beat to death....)

I could almost put up with the expense of $65./a month for shoes if it weren't for the PITA of having to sew the ribbons and elastics all the time. A local shop will do it for $15.00 but by the time you're done paying for all the accessories and the sewing, you might as well pay for GM, of course that assumes you can use them. I hear fro many people that they just don't work for their feet.

That said.... I took some students to be fitted, and the fitter used GEL PADS to fit GM's (made to be worn without padding, just some lambs wool if necessary, and only a bit here and there....) I think given the fact that they have a huge selection, and given the huge lack of skilled fitters, the problem is broader.

I actually took a girl into New York to be fitted by GM.

Bottom line.... if you have a shoe you love, that fits well, and "dances well", you may just have to accept this is something that goes with the territory.

Hugs...

xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By melissaga Comments: 326, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Tue Nov 21, 2017 07:00 PM
I think it's time for you to try Gaynor Minden!

I know advanced 2 pre-pro dancers who were going through approximately a pair a week who got about 3 months from a single pair of Gaynor shoes.
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5178, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Wed Dec 13, 2017 06:32 AM
How many hours per week are you en pointe? And do your shoes have time to dry out in between classes?

I went from taking normal classes at my studio (3 hours per week, 1.5 hours per class on Mondays and Wednesdays) to college dance courses where I was en pointe Monday through Thursday mornings, plus my evening classes.

My shoes began dying RAPIDLY. I knew it was mainly because of upping my pointe hours, but my pointe shoes never had time to breathe and dry out between wear. So they disintegrated rather quickly.

My solution, while not cheap, was to buy three pairs of pointe shoes at a time. I would rotate them and let the first pair dry out for two days (typically hanging in my car because of my travel from college to studio). Yes, it was expensive to purchase three pairs at a time, but between rotating and jet glue— I could go MONTHS without having to buy new shoes. I was spending the same amount of money, but at least all the sewing was done for a few months and I wasn’t constantly at the Dance shop!
On Thu Dec 14, 2017 02:55 AM
MuffinHead wrote:

And do your shoes have time to dry out in between classes?

.... between rotating and jet glue� I could go MONTHS without having to buy new shoes. I was spending the same amount of money!

This sounds brilliant!

QTE Penny wise pound foolish UNQTE comes to mind :)
On Thu Dec 14, 2017 02:56 AM
MuffinHead wrote:

And do your shoes have time to dry out in between classes?

.... between rotating and jet glue� I could go MONTHS without having to buy new shoes. I was spending the same amount of money!

This sounds brilliant!

QTE Penny wise pound foolish UNQTE comes to mind :)

ReplySendWatch