Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Irish - Technique & Training
Ballet & gymnastics to help Irish dancing
By dancemom0304 Comments: 6, member since Wed Dec 20, 2017
On Wed Dec 20, 2017 08:36 AM

Hi there,
My 5 & a half year old has lots of potential in Irish dancing, her teachers are very excited about her. She picked it up very quickly & is already winning feis's in her age group. She has a weak core however & I would like to help her improve this. Any tips, would ballet & gymnastics help improve this? Any other tips for a beginner Irish dancer would be appreciated. Thanks, Elena

3 Replies to Ballet & gymnastics to help Irish dancing

re: Ballet & gymnastics to help Irish dancing
By China_Doll Comments: 1296, member since Sun Dec 30, 2007
On Wed Dec 20, 2017 09:14 AM
Core will always improve as the dancers get older and continue to work, and your daughters TC might be able to help by showing you a few core workouts specific to Irish Dancers.

But as a secondary activity My daughter did Ballet(actually she started in ballet but preferred Irish and Ballet just stuck as a background thing) but the core strength as well as ankle strength(helpful later on when the pointe work starts) was always a big plus. I know many Irish Dancers that Do Gymnastics and see that as very helpful as well.

Most Ballet and gymnastics classes will allow for a trial so perhaps see which class she enjoys and works with your budget and schedule.

If she is already doing well in her comps I wouldn't worry much.
GOOD LUCK!
By dancemom0304 Comments: 6, member since Wed Dec 20, 2017
On Wed Dec 20, 2017 09:58 AM
Thanks for the quick reply China doll, she really loves Irish dancing & I have no knowledge of it all all so looking at other ways in which to help her. The core strength thing definitely lets her down as her arms flail a bit as she dances & she also bends at the hips slightly when she jumps..
By China_Doll Comments: 1296, member since Sun Dec 30, 2007
On Wed Dec 20, 2017 03:34 PM
I totally understand- When my daughter fell in Love with ID I was clueless and this website has so many awesome people with a huge wealth of info behind their belts. IF your daughter is happy with Irish Dance trust me the older she gets the more she will learn her weaknesses and work her little back side off to fix them. For now breathe easy in the fact that she is still learning and that Irish dance like many other Dance sports is one that Builds in technique so as she advances she will gain a lot more in the way of core strength and coordination. If she is the sort that is interested in marking her improvements perhaps start a little book for her with places to note her placements and any judges comments as well as places to note any skills SHE would like to improve on- and maybe every few months she can share some of these with her TC. She is still small and her body will get stronger as she moves ahead in this amazing sport;) enjoy the little flappy arms and cute little mistakes- they are so cute when they dance at this age without the stresses of perfection breathing down their necks;)

ReplySendWatch