Forum: Ask a Teacher

8, 9, and 10 year old ballet song ideas needed!!
By amberlouise
On Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:03 PM

I need some help finding music for 8, 9, and 10 year olds, for ballet.

I love using modern songs turned classical or modern twists on classical music. Something kind of cool and fun but still very ballet.

I also love using different movie soundtracks (E.g Harry Potter, The Croods- things they can relate to)

I don't really want to use traditional ballet songs for these dancers as they are only beginners, but I am open to any ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you!!

4 Replies to 8, 9, and 10 year old ballet song ideas needed!!

re: 8, 9, and 10 year old ballet song ideas needed!!
By hummingbird
On Tue Dec 26, 2017 08:15 AM
I used a piece of Benjamin Britten for this age group last year called Playful Pizzicato from his Simple Symphony

Dvorak's Slavonic Dances are also nice for this age group because they're very easy to build a story around to help them remember where they should be in the music. Here's an example of a piece I've used in previous years.

By dancedivadance
On Tue Sep 18, 2018 01:05 PM
The group "Bond" (a classical all girl group that "moderns" up the songs) does unique twists on classical ballet songs. I have used their songs quit a bit. Highly recommend you take a listen.
By teachdanzPremium member
On Mon Oct 01, 2018 09:26 AM
I have searched a lot of songs under electronic or lullaby and used for ballet. "Sweet Child of Mind" "The Rose" a lot of Elvis songs, all great for ballet! Good luck
By DancePrincess225
On Mon Oct 08, 2018 03:25 PM
What about the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song?

ReplySendWatch