Forum: Creative Movement

Creative Movement
Intentional Music
By Moonlite_dancer3 Comments: 11, member since Sat Aug 23, 2014
On Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 PM

How do you utilize music in your creative movement classes?

During my creative movement parent and me class I like to sing and talk, but I don't want to talk the entire 30 mins. I want to incorporate more music, intentional music. I am looking for something beyond following the directions in the song or having the equivalent of the radio on in the background.

I have some lovely albums from Eric Chappelle, Music Together, Greg & Steve, Georgiana Stewart, as well as tons of Disney music and kids dance party music.

My question is how do you create a playlist so that YOU are the teacher and not simply following the directions in the song. How do you balance songs with lyrics/ directives and instrumental music? Do you always have music going on in the background? Do you have space in your lesson where you listen and move to different genres? Are you always running back and forth teaching and then to your sound system?

Thanks!

1 Replies to Intentional Music

re: Intentional Music
By hummingbird Comments: 10452, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Jan 11, 2018 08:14 AM
At mom and tot's stage I'm normally use music that has actions to follow because that's the best way to have a class with kids that young. They don't always know how to listen to a teacher, they don't always want to listen to their moms and they're more likely to listen to a song and do the actions when they're prompted. It also saves my voice because you could well end up talking of the whole class if you don't use action songs.

I might put in two pieces where there are no words and the class has to follow what I'm doing, I normally find that's enough in half an hour.

The main purpose behind mom and tots classes is to make the kids and parents feel at home and secure in your studio and make them want to sign up for classes when the kid is older.

ReplySendWatch