Forum: Advice / Support

How did you feel when you first started dance?
By AwkwardBeginner
On Fri Jan 19, 2018 03:28 PM

So, I'm 21 and I've just started my hip hop dance class and I can't decide whether to keep going or try something else. I've only been to a few classes, and every time, I feel awkward and very self-concious, while others are confident and can follow the moves well.

How did you guys feel when you started dance for the first time? If you used to feel the same as me, how did you get over any negative feelings?

8 Replies to How did you feel when you first started dance?

re: How did you feel when you first started dance?
By jms9t2
On Fri Jan 19, 2018 05:51 PM
As far as following the moves, that gets easier with practice. I think if you keep going, you'll find that picking up the choreography gets easier. If there's anything about it that you're enjoying, I would keep going for awhile. As for confidence, try the "fake it til you make it" approach. The others may not feel as confident as they look on the outside. Good luck!
By AwkwardBeginner
On Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 PM
Thanks! I think I'll pretend I'm confident until I really am haha
By Bril
On Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:25 PM
There are days when I still feel insecure or awkward or can't for the life of me figure out the combination the teacher just showed us like...8 times.

And I have been dancing for over 20 years now. (I realized that the other day and almost had a pre-turning-30-midlife crisis).

I read another of your posts and my best advice is: show up. Smile at the other dancers. Talk to them. It's a beginner class right? Odds are they are or were just as lost or confused and even if they aren't-they are most likely nice human beings!

I also like to remind myself that I go to a dance class to learn. In order to learn something, you kind of have to start out not good at it. In my case you might never be good at it haha but I've learned to enjoy it regardless!

Give it a decent go, and if you still aren't feeling it after a couple months, ask the teacher if they think a different style of dance might be more fun for you. I do much better in structured styles like highland and ballet, because having predictable, defined positions and movements helps me feel much more confident.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
By AwkwardBeginner
On Sat Jan 20, 2018 01:04 PM
Thanks! I think from reading your guys' posts, I learned that I should focus on myself and just try not to care amd just have fun. I've been watching videos and reading articles and blogs about gaining confidence, and I learned it's not just me! I'll try to motivate myself more.

I'll check back in a few months. (:
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 19, 2018 09:36 PM
I have a little girl that dances with me, that I suspect is much like you are. She doesn't like the feeling of not knowing stuff. I've taught her since she was seven. SEVEN. And every time I taught her a step she didn't know - and I started her from scratch as a dancer, so it's happened a lot - she'd cry.

*headdesk*

I finally explained to her - it's like learning a new language. It is. You're learning terms you don't know, that mean holding your body in ways you're not used to. You're working with people you wouldn't work with otherwise, to accomplish goals you wouldn't otherwise have.

In other words - you're doing all the good things about dancing. This is all the good stuff! This is the life long benefit to this!

But it's weird. Because it's a lot of new.

Be cool. Forgive yourself if it sometimes doesn't go great. You're learning. If you knew all the answers, you'd be the teacher. The teacher knows you don't know this stuff. :) Keep trying. Pretty soon you'll be fluent. ;)
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Mon Mar 12, 2018 08:53 PM
Everything is difficult before it is easy.
By dancin_aura
On Thu May 24, 2018 04:25 AM
well It just came naturally I guess being self-taught there is no one around I just started to dance and as I started to work I actually became a decent dancer :O I love dance so much I just felt happy and for a while in my life that seemed impossible
By WantJazz
On Mon May 28, 2018 06:00 PM
I had one mom who took my class to encourage her little girl to stick with dance. She was 35 when she stepped into my adult ballet class, for the first time ever in her life. 2 year later, she was a soloist in an opening number in my recital, in a Prayer variation from Cappelia, on pointe!
Her entire extended family attended all 3 shows and everyone was in tears every single time. This was the dream of her life, and her could not afford dance classes when she was growing up. Imagine how she felt, and all of us at the academy! Keep dancing and keep dreaming!!!
Her daughter is now a dance instructor!

ReplySendWatch