Forum: Advice / Support

Should I lose weight before going into ballet? | How do I become flexible for ballet?
By AwkwardBeginner
On Sun Jan 21, 2018 02:08 PM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2018-01-21 20:30:53 Posts that list both your height and weight together are not allowed. Sorry. :)

I am 5'1" and XXX lbs, so I am a bit overweight. Should I lose weight before starting ballet as an adult? Would it make it easier?

On the other hand, I am not flexible, nor do I have the best balance. What are good activities to do to improve these before I start ballet?

Sorry, I'cm abviously new to dance c:

1 Replies to Should I lose weight before going into ballet? | How do I become flexible for ballet?

re: Should I lose weight before going into ballet? | How do I become flexible for ballet?
By mallika
On Mon Jan 29, 2018 02:02 AM
AwkwardBeginner wrote:

I am 5'1" and XXX lbs, so I am a bit overweight. Should I lose weight before starting ballet as an adult? Would it make it easier?

On the other hand, I am not flexible, nor do I have the best balance. What are good activities to do to improve these before I start ballet? Does having weightloss pills and multivitamins help?

Sorry, I'cm abviously new to dance c:

Dance is a very physical craft. If you want to become a ballerina, you'll have to be in peek physical shape in order to compete with professional dancers.
Being "on pointe" refers to standing on the very tips of your toes. While it looks graceful and easy, it's actually incredibly painful and requires a lot of skill. The tips of ballerina shoes are cushioned by blocks of wood, making standing on pointe physically demanding. As a ballerina, you'll need to develop a high pain threshold.
Pilates is a workout routine which uses movement, strength training, and stretching to achieve long and lean arms and muscles. If you want a dancer's body, incorporate Pilates into your workout routine. Join a Pilates class or look for Pilates routines online.
Cardio is also important for dancing. You'll need an incredible amount of physical endurance if you want to be a professional dancer. Strive for at least 30 minutes of cardio each day. Cardio includes things like jogging, running, bicycling, swimming, and other activities. You can also find cardio routines to do at home.

Strength training is also necessary to become a dancer. To stay lean but strong, use light weights with high repetitions. For example, use a weight light enough that you start struggling to complete the exercise after 18 to 20 sets instead of 8 to 15.[5]

ReplySendWatch