Forum: General / Welcome

New dancer! Which type of dance should I try?
By AwkwardBeginner
On Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:43 PM

I am new to dance (and this website), so I wasn't sure where to ask.

I am barely an adult, and I'm starting dance pretty late (just as a hobby). I am a bit overweight, bad at balancing, and am not flexible. These are the dances I'm thinking of: ballet, modern, jazz and hip hop. I can't decide whether my biggest goal is to lose weight, become flexible, or to learn the fundmentals/technique.

If I don't sound ready to start dance, what activities/things should I do to prepare? I am very slef-conscious, so I want to gain at least a little bit of confidence before I start dancing.

Sorry this is long, but any advice is appreciated!

2 Replies to New dancer! Which type of dance should I try?

re: New dancer! Which type of dance should I try?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 22, 2018 03:00 PM
You know what? Try it all. I mean, at this point, you're probably not going to becoming a professional on broadway or anything, so get out there. Learn it. Learn to love it. Have an absolutely fantastic time.

Dance typically isn't great as a weight loss activity (dance themed weight loss programs excluded) because there's a lot of stopping and starting, which prevents you from getting your heart rate up, and keeping it there. :/ So as a weight loss plan, it's not the best, unfortunately.
re: New dancer! Which type of dance should I try?
By kinsidhe
On Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 PM
Hi,

I will echo Theresa here a bit.

As a person who didn't start dancing until I was adult, I highly recommend doing it! Why? because it can be fun, it can change your relationship with your own body and I firmly believe it improves health both physically and mentally.

As for what style? Do what makes you the happiest, if you don't know then have a go at any or all of them. What will be important is the "I want to do that again!" feeling. You will keep doing what you like to do. If you aren't certain where to start in choosing, perhaps start with the music. The music for Ballet will be different from the music in a hip hop class. Does any particular style of music appeal to you more, make you want to move, gives you a lift?

If you would like to build some confidence being in a class, work on balance, flexibility etc then you can also try a Yoga class. It is not dance, but it may help as a transitional step. I did yoga for years before I ever danced and continued with it after because it supported my body for dancing and I enjoyed it in it's own right. It really helped me learn to work with my body and appreciate its gifts to me.

Confidence, physical ability, technique, readiness...will only come with doing and challenging the edges of your comfort zone. It will be awkward at first and that is OK! it will be hard at first and that is OK! it will slowly change as you try. Success lies in repeated attempts. Start where you feel the most comfortable and expect to challenge that comfort zone.

Warmest regards
K.

ReplySendWatch