Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

white-rimmed hard shoes - what to do with laces?
By Gwenavere
On Mon Jan 29, 2018 02:36 PM

I just bought a pair of the Rutherford super flexi whites. They are just what I was looking for - with one exception: what to do about the laces? The black laces that came with them look odd in the upper white rim, but I guess replacing the black laces with white ones would contrast badly on the black lower part. Rutherford's example photo seems to mix black AND white laces, so it looks perfect: www.rutherfordshoes.com . . .. But for actual use, I don't get how this would be functional... Wouldn't the black laces be lumpy on top of your foot if you had to tuck them in? I was really trying to get away from dealing with electrical tape because it ruined the finish of my last pair of shoes. I know that I could just tape over the black laces in front, but I'm hoping for a non-tape option. Any clever ideas?

1 Replies to white-rimmed hard shoes - what to do with laces?

re: white-rimmed hard shoes - what to do with laces?
By Claramel
On Mon Jan 29, 2018 03:06 PM
I don't know if this would work but you could try it. At the worst you'd only be ruining laces and not the shoe....

Get some white laces and paint black the part of the lace that sits in the black part of the shoe. You can use regular acrylic paint but mix it with a bit of fabric medium (from a craft or art store). I've used this method to successfully paint canvas shoes for years. Rather than paint onto the lace directly, the paint with the medium mixed in is quite runny so you could just dip them in like a candle.

Shoe polish might me another option too.

ReplySendWatch