Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Are ice baths necessary?
By fairydancer1016
On Tue Feb 06, 2018 03:25 PM

Hello! I only take one ballet class and one contemporary class a week, plus teaching and doing some pointe work. I know it’s good for dancers to ice their feet, but how much dancing do you have to do for this to be effective? Could I benefit from an ice foot bath during the week, even with a couple classes a week? Could I do it anytime of the week, or does it have to be right after class? Thanks guys!

1 Replies to Are ice baths necessary?

re: Are ice baths necessary?
By hummingbird
On Tue Feb 06, 2018 04:04 PM
Icing your muscles is normally done when you have an injury, as in RICE, rest, ice, compress and elevate, however there are indications that this is not always the best way to treat all muscular injuries, some doctors are suggesting heat instead of ice.

I'd be interested in reading more about icing feet after pointe work, can you link your sources please?
re: Are ice baths necessary?
By boleyngrrl
On Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:20 AM
Short answer: no.

If you're having a lot of foot pain, doing it right after class might help control the pain, but Hummingbird is right about the lit being unsure. In 20-some-odd years of dance, I think I can count ice baths I've done outside of injury on one hand. If you're injured and doing this as a stop-gap, get to a doc.

Good luck!

ReplySendWatch