Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

How long for a beginner to "get it"
By Lintu
On Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 AM

Hi! I'm new here :). I have a daughter who started dancing 5 months ago. She'll be 8 in April, so she's a beginner U8. I know 5 months isn't that long to be dancing, but when I look at her compared to other beginner U8s, she seems like she isn't "getting it" - I don't think the timing comes naturally to her, and she's still a little shaky/unbalanced/flail-y. Would you say this is normal? I feel like I have more exposure to experienced dancing and so it's really hard for me to know what's normal for a 7 year old beginner. Is it possibly just because of how the beginner level ranges from brand new all the way to a year? 5 months vs 10 months would still be twice her level of experience.

(She actually placed second in both her dances at her first feis, which shocked me. I'm honestly still not sure how that ended up being the result, though of course we were both thrilled. The last feis she went to, she was in the 4th place grouping, which was the last 8 girls all together.)

4 Replies to How long for a beginner to "get it"

re: How long for a beginner to "get it"
By Claramel
On Fri Feb 09, 2018 03:28 PM
I'm sure if she does some practice at home along with some strengthening/stretching excercises she will start to improve over time. 5 months is still very early, some kids take longer to develop the right technique...there's a lot for their young brains to process!
By Lintu
On Fri Feb 09, 2018 07:47 PM
Thanks, Claramel - that's reassuring. She really enjoys it so I hope you're right!
By SeaTurtleMama
On Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 PM
Many kids that age are still working on general muscle control and coordination, they all achieve it at different times and are often set back by a growth spurt. Just think about how many hours your dancer has spent in the studio, she has already achieved quite a bit after a relatively small amount of instruction time, she has learned two dances proficiently enough that her teachers felt she was ready to compete and then she went out and did them with little to no assistance.
Each dancer has their own path and travel along it at their own pace, what matters most is that they enjoy the journey.
By Lintu
On Mon Feb 12, 2018 02:25 PM
Thank you! I appreciate the perspective!

She's very tall for her age, so the poor thing is probably always trying to keep up with her arms and legs growing :)

ReplySendWatch