Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Appropriate age for Pointe (karma: 1)
By Winter17
On Tue Feb 20, 2018 06:42 AM

As a long time dance teacher and former professional I really encourage teachers to start dancers closer to the 12 year old
age category. I was startled to see 10 year olds at a recent supposed "professional" ballet competition dancing on pointe like they had been on for several years. It is irresponsible to put a child on pointe before their bones have finished developing. A doctor can x ray to see if the dancer is ready before 12 but please take the child's future welfare in to consideration. We are in a day and age of pushing these young bodies so fast to do more and more. As pointe teachers we can set a standard that says we care more about the child then winning a ballet competition at 10.

7 Replies to Appropriate age for Pointe

re: Appropriate age for Pointe (karma: 1)
By hummingbird
On Tue Feb 20, 2018 02:44 PM
There are always going to be teachers who think more about their image than their students well being. Just do a search on youtube and you'll find plenty of examples. As a ballet teacher my job is to educate the parents and make them aware that a bad training is also an unsafe training and it doesn't get much more unsafe than that!
By jms9t2
On Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 PM
Age 12 is the earliest we will even consider it, but I often find that most of the students at my school are not truly ready until a couple years after that. My pointe teacher and I were also recently commenting how funny (and annoying) it is that the girls so badly want to be cleared to go on pointe and then once they are, they seem to "forget" their pointe shoes or find other reasons they can't wear them in class. Not as easy as it looks after all!
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Thu Feb 22, 2018 06:22 AM
I have noticed that students who are put on pointe too early, no matter how accomplished they are, end up with growth plate problems when they turn about 13 or so. The number of girls in boots increase dramatically at that age (i teach at middle school). When I enquire as to the reason, many are kids who dance and started pointe before age 11.
re: Appropriate age for Pointe
By Storm_Trouper
On Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:11 AM
What does the wearing of boots indicate to you I wonder.
By ChristinePremium member
On Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:54 PM
I think the "boot" is an orthopedic device, not fashionable foot wear.

Keep On Dancing*
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Apr 23, 2018 05:38 PM
Yes, the orthopedic boot, not the fashion ones!
By gabbyballet
On Sat Jun 16, 2018 01:27 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't think it would be appropriate or safe for students to go on pointe before age 11. There is one girl I know who started shortly before she turned 11, but she was by far the youngest in my first pointe class. I myself started about 2 months before I turned 12.

ReplySendWatch