Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Advice on Grishko vs Bloch
By sailor_button
On Sat Mar 24, 2018 03:48 AM

The first time I was ever fitted for pointe shoes the fitter confidently told me I had "Bloch feet", so I've been wearing Blochs ever since (bar a brief period where I cheated on them with Gaynors, which I hated and promptly sold).

I stopped dancing for a while, and since coming back to it I've been wearing Bloch Balance European, and I've loved them. Now I'm doing significantly more pointe work and I feel like I need something stronger. I was fitted for a pair of Grishko 2007 but I want to ask for opinions before buying them (pointe shoes are expensive and I really don't want to make a mistake!)

My feet are fine but not amazingly flexible, my arches are average, and I have tapered toes. I'm hoping a harder shoe will help me strengthen my feet and support me better and maybe help take my work to the next level. It seems like a big leap though as my Balance Europeans feel like demi pointes by comparison! Grishkos seem... kind of hardcore?! (I sound so ridiculous. I'm scared of a shoe.)

Has anyone else gone from Bloch to Grishko? Is this a good move or should I stick to what I know?

4 Replies to Advice on Grishko vs Bloch

re: Advice on Grishko vs Bloch
By maureensiobhan
On Sat Mar 24, 2018 09:18 AM
If I were you, I would stick with the Bloch Balance European, if these are the shoes that work best for your feet, and you really like them. It's not the shoe that will strengthen and support your feet, You have to have feet that are strong enough for pointe, and you have to work to support the shoe. The shoe cannot do the work for you.
By sailor_button
On Mon Mar 26, 2018 03:11 AM
Well no, I wasn't expecting the shoe to 'do the work for me', but with a tougher shoe I was expecting to have to work harder in general and be able to strengthen my feet that way. My Blochs have been great but I feel somewhat vulnerable in them now as they don't seem quite strong enough for the work I'm doing.

I was just wondering if anyone had made a similar transition, as I've never had Grishkos before and they do seem very different.
By isaetoilerina
On Mon Apr 30, 2018 09:23 AM
Actually, I was the opposite! I ended up switching from Grishko to Bloch in my big whirlwind of pointe fittings. I have very arched and flexible feet, so it was a very strange transition for me to go from a hard, tapered Grishko to a more square, flexible Bloch. It really depends on what works for you! I find Grishko to be harder than Bloch, and generally come more on the tapered side but that varies from different styles. In my case, I needed the shape of the Bloch with a very HARD shank, but in your case, please do what works for you. If you like the style, shape, and hardness of a Grishko, it wouldn't hurt to try, especially with developing feet.
By hummingbird
On Wed May 02, 2018 07:21 AM
Your feet change as you dance, I've changed brands and styles many times over the years because my feet have compacted, got stronger when I did more pointe, or weaker and less compacted because I've been doing less pointe. Each time you have a break from dance and come back to it you almost have to treat it like a first fitting again to be able to find your new best fit.

ReplySendWatch