Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Tapered box for square toes? Grishko?
By LeoEscondidinhas
On Fri Jul 06, 2018 04:06 AM

Hello!
First of all, I have wide compressible feet with short, square toes. I used bloch balance for a long time, but ended up switching since I found them not to be very supportive (although quite comfy - too much). So I tried the bloch synergies, and they were a mess. Then I got the bloch triomphe. They were quite comfortable when I bought them, and really supportive, probably due to being slightly tapered. However, when I use them for a long time my big toes start hurting quite a lot.
Is there anyone who has square toes and gets along with slightly tapered boxes?

Also, I was wondering about grishkos. Would the triumph be good for me? It's weird, as I see some pics where they look more tapered than in others.

Suggestions? Thanks!

3 Replies to Tapered box for square toes? Grishko?

re: Tapered box for square toes? Grishko?
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed Jul 11, 2018 06:36 PM
Back in the dark ages of ballet, one could ONLY get tapered shoes. I should think you can try a tapered or semi-tapered shoe if you feel that it would work for you. I would highly recommend going to a professional fitting shop and trying on a few dozen or so (exaggerating, but if you have difficult feet, a two-hour fitting would not be unusual).

Also, take a look at the chart offered on this site. I would recommend perhaps semi-tapered with square toes, rather than fully tapered. And, yes, I do I fit shoes although I don’t do it for a living. :)

www.the-perfect-pointe.com . . .
By Robin5
On Sun Aug 05, 2018 06:51 AM
I have the opposite issue. I have VERY tapered toes but wide metatarsals, and do very well in "slightly" tapered pointe shoes such as the Russian Pointe Rubin. The Russian Pointe Sapfirs are too tapered for me, and even Grishkos (2007, Nova) are a bit tapered for me but more comfortable in a very wide fit. You may have more luck going with a wider shoe that is slightly tapered. Sometimes it is also a matter of changing your padding/toe protection too, if a shoe is close to the right fit. I wear gel toe pads in my Russian Pointes which work very well, but when i wore Grishkos I needed a thinner toe pad and wore ouch pads. I found that the Grishkos had longer side wings and the ouch pads covered more on the side of my feet. The Russian Pointes have what seems to be much shorter side wings (at least for the Rubins which are a slightly tapered box but work for square feet) and I don't feel I need a lot if any protection on the sides of my feet, so small gel toe padding works better. I actually prefer less side wing with my wider feet and feel less restriction and more freedom to roll through demi and articulate my feet. So much to think about!
By torontoballet
On Mon Sep 24, 2018 02:43 PM
Hi LeoEscondidinhas,

It sounds like we are in a very similar position - I have extremely wide (5X - 6X in Grishko and 3X-4X in Bloch) compressible feet, with short square toes, a narrow disappearing heel, and high arches. I used to wear the Bloch Eurobalance too, but found that while they are super comfortable, and require barely any padding, even the strong shanks were just not supportive enough, and the boxes would turn to mush in 2 - 3 weeks.

I ended up switching to the Grishko Maya I (in the hard shank) after getting fitted in NYC by Judy Weiss, their master fitter. The box is slightly more tapered than the Eurobalance with a narrower platform, but I find it a much better fit than the Balances. However I will say that the box on the Maya I's is hard, even for Grishko, and takes ages to break in; but despite that I think I've found my perfect shoe.

Now about Elites - I have been fitted for them in the past, and I find that despite Grishko advertising them as a model for dancers with wide square feet and short toes, the Maya I's and even the Nova's were more generous in width at the metatarsal - I could barely my feet into a pair of 5X Elites, and the sole twisted horrifically. Obviously get fitted by a professional, but it sounds like we have very similar feet, and would probably suffer from similar fit issues.

Hope this helps!

ReplySendWatch