Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Russian Pointe Hard and Flexible Hard Shank?
By Robin5
On Sun Aug 05, 2018 06:57 AM

I am currently wearing Russian Pointe Rubins in a flexible medium shank. Though I love the fit of these shoes, I am finding that the shanks seem to die fairly quickly for me, meaning they stop supporting my foot and I start rolling too far over the box after about 6 hours of pointe work, but the box is still in good condition. I have very high arches, tapered toes, wide metatarsals, somewhat flexible/compressible. I used to wear Grishkos but those died even sooner, though I only wore medium and didn't try hard shanks.

I have read and read about flexible and hard shanks in Russian Pointe, but I still don't quite understand the difference between the flexible and straight hard shank. I am thinking a harder shank might help me, but can't decide if I should go with flexible hard or hard. What does the "flexible" really mean?

2 Replies to Russian Pointe Hard and Flexible Hard Shank?

re: Russian Pointe Hard and Flexible Hard Shank?
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Aug 06, 2018 02:08 PM
Edited by Serendipity42 (215267) on 2018-08-06 14:10:10 Added info
Flexible means the shank has a different configuration. Instead of covering the whole of the sole, it is thinner than the actual bottom of the sole. Flexible hard goes all the way to the top of the shoe, medium is like a 3/4 shank, and soft (which I wear), is a half shank.

The standard, non-flexible, has the shank going to the horizontal ends of the sole rather than thinner than the horizontal. They would still come in hard, medium, and soft but are more like other brands. RP has a guide on their site, if I recall correctly.

One thing that a fitter once told me, and it kind of makes sense, is that those with really high arches break the shank first. If you get a harder shank shoe, you might actually kill them faster. If you get flexible soft, or soft shank, it may last longer because the shank will not snap when you use them.

Another option, if you want to try, is Gaynor Minden. They can custom make your shoe to be similar to your Russian Pointe. I had a set made for me and actually found I needed a hard shank in GM, while I wear a soft in RP. Very weird for me!! But they will last longer than a standard, card-paste shoe.
re: Russian Pointe Hard and Flexible Hard Shank?
By Robin5
On Tue Aug 07, 2018 07:04 PM
Thanks Serendipity42! This is very helpful! The part about the length of the shank really helps me understand it better.

ReplySendWatch