Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Adult Male ballet leotard and tights question
By Bdn
On Wed Aug 29, 2018 08:22 PM

I am wanting to start ballet and am full of questions. I don’t know anything so please bear with me. I am going to have to buy tights and a leotard from what I gather and was wondering what color leotard to get or do I just buy those pink tights or are there other colors for men or what do I need in that department. If you know kinds or styles or brands please let me know. The next question is do I just wear the leotard and tights like everyone seems to do? Put on the tights then the leotard? I see that as correct but don’t know. Do I need anything else for ballet? Any help suggestions comments or advice would be a huge help!!

6 Replies to Adult Male ballet leotard and tights question

re: Adult Male ballet leotard and tights question
By luv2plie
On Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:01 AM
Usually guys wear a white shirt, black tights (mens) a dance belt for ballet classes. Don't forget the ballet shoes.

If you wear a leotard ( Black or white ) for ballet classes , you SHOULD wear it under your tights. NOT OVER. Usually ladies will wear their leotard over their tights. Please don't wear pink tights.

Good luck

ps: I am a male dancer!
By Storm_Trouper
On Sat Sep 15, 2018 03:53 AM
Hope you’re finding that dance classes are rewarding. Best advice is that you ought to consult the studio or school where you are studying as 1) they have the experience and knowledge (and you are paying them for same) 2) they might or might not have an applicable dress code and which none of us would know about 3) they probably know about local sources of supply or might even have a discount code for an online retailer of dancewear. They can recommend soft shoe type (canvas or leather) and other dancewear essentials for male dancers. towel and water bottle dont forget.
By stormshadow
On Tue Apr 09, 2019 02:21 PM
Hey Bdn, hope you're enjoying ballet. As per your question about leotards and tights, WearMoi makes a leotard with a built in dance belt. Should help from creating too many layers when you need absolute mobility. Happy dancing!

www.discountdance.com . . .
re: Adult Male ballet leotard and tights questi
By Storm_Trouper
On Wed May 29, 2019 03:18 AM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2019-05-29 03:19:38
Mobility is never affected
when wearing an ultra thin stretchy
fabric layer that is a leotard in addition to
a dance belt. There are no particular,
significant restrictions created by wearing
this specific set of dance wear and guys
have been doing it for decades without