Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Children's Beginner Jazz Class Format - Need Help!
By KayAdagio
On Wed Sep 12, 2018 09:57 AM

Hi everybody!

I just landed my first job as a dance instructor at a local studio! I'm so excited to get started, but just need a little help from the dance community. I have 15+ years of classical ballet under my belt, so I'm not worried about the technique classes at all. However, when it comes to the jazz classes I am a bit nervous! I've taken several jazz classes before, but not throughout my life like ballet, so I'm a little more uncomfortable and unfamiliar with it. It has been quite a while, and I need to dust off the cobwebs. Could somebody please post like a sample jazz class for young children? Or maybe just the format of a jazz class? The oldest kids I have are probable 6 or 7, so just simple stuff.

Another thing is that I'm kind of debating what would be too advanced to teach and what isn't. Pirouettes? Chaines? Pique turns? I know I probably wouldn't teach those in a ballet class just yet, maybe just basic basics. Like learning to spot or something. A little guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks guys! :)

ReplySendWatch