Forum: Highland / Highland - National

2019 Premiership steps
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 25, 2018 01:59 PM

Once again this year, they've specified a method for each dance. Bluebonnets BATD, Lilt SDTA, and Barracks UKA.

What are the differences? I have the "consolidated" Nationals book, and it doesn't always show...

6 Replies to 2019 Premiership steps

re: 2019 Premiership steps
By kinsidhe
On Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 AM
Edited by kinsidhe (222831) on 2018-11-27 11:57:14 Spelling!
Hi,

Just to start with here's what I've learned is different in the SDTA Lilt from BATD and UKA. We've gone over this one in class and I've briefly scanned all the different books in front of me to see what stands out as different. Hope it helps!

Lilt: SDTA

Curtsey: Step right (flat) and curtesy (123) take the weight -flat- on the rear foot ( LF) make 1/8th turn to right (45) point RF in 4th pos. (6)

(BATD doesn't specify going flat before pivot and UKA says to step back to position whilst turning the 1/8 turn.)

Circle Step: The extensions go to -4th Intermediate aerial-

(BATD and UKA both specify 4th Aerial for the extensions)

Forward Travel: Looks like it is the same as BATD and UKA.

Rocking: Looks like it is the same as BATD and UKA

Last Step/Round the leg: Bar 4 execute three spring points to 4th position

(BATD and UKA has two spring points or shuffles and an assemble on bar 4)

I'll try to get back to you about the Barracks and the Blue Bonnets once my teacher has addressed them with us in class.

K.
On Tue Nov 27, 2018 07:48 PM
Cool, thanks! I'm trying to notate all of these in my book so I have them, as well. I can't take classes right now, so I'm kind of out of luck as far as that goes.
By danzteach
On Tue Nov 27, 2018 08:49 PM
I suggest you get the book from each association so that you have all of the correct information. You and/or your dancers can be disqualified if they do the wrong method in the dance.
On Fri Nov 30, 2018 07:54 PM
1. I'm not a teacher, merely asking for my own information.
2. Buying a bunch of books isn't exactly in the budget right now, and I bought the consolidated book thinking it would have all of this information in one place.

Normally I would be able to pick this up in class. However, as stated, I'm not able to go to class at this time and am just practicing on my own.
By danzteach
On Sun Dec 02, 2018 08:13 PM
Just a suggestion about the books and wanted to let you know that if you do the wrong method for a step in a Premiership you can be disqualified. Sorry if I offended.
By kinsidhe
On Thu Dec 06, 2018 09:16 AM
Barracks time!
This is actually helping me learn a lot as I am carefully comparing the descriptions, I find myself saying "oh! didn't realise that was different!" :)

BARRACKS: UKA

Intro:
Same for all three: Basically a 6 count fling bow.

Break:
UKA has more choice than the other two.

The travel/step on ½ point after the highcut in front can go to 4th intermediate Or forward 2nd

You may extend to 4th intermediate aerial after the travel before springing into the turn Or just release the foot to just above 3rd position

(SDTA-the travel/step is to forward 2nd and the foot is released to just above 3rd pos. (no extension before the turn)
(BATD-the travel/step is to 4th intermediate aerial and the foot is released ( no extension before the turn)

BALANCE AND TRAVEL:
The step looks the same for all three versions EXCEPT UKA and BATD state you can use either 2nd or 3rd position arms. SDTA does not appear to have the option for arms being in 3rd.

POINTING AND BACKSTEP
Hop point RF to 4th pos.(1), Spring RF taking LF to 3rd rear aerial(2), two backsteps(3,4)
Arms are either in 3rd for all counts (1,2,3,4) Or 2nd for count 1 and 3rd for 2,3,4.

(SDTA and BATD-Counts 1 and 2 are the same. Count 3 is a Spring to LF taking RF to 3rd aerial(3), then One backstep (4) Arms are 3rd for all counts.)

DIAGONAL EXTENSION:
All three versions look the same. The only difference I could see was that SDTA calls the step “Highcut Action” instead of “Diagonal Extension” They are executed the same way though.

TURNING/Last step:
Looks the same for all three versions EXCEPT: SDTA specifies you can extend before the assemble to 2nd aerial low. UKA and BADT simply say “assemble”.

We aren't tackling the Blue Bonnets in class until Jan. So, I may see if I have time to just go carefully through the books for you before then. In the meantime-happy practicing!

K.

ReplySendWatch