Forum: Highland / Highland

Your favorite dance drills?
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 05, 2019 03:55 PM

What are some of your favorite drills when practicing? I always like new ideas to work on.

One I've done before but haven't done in a while is a shedding drill (you can probably do it with other movements as well):
--Shedding for 1 Fling step (you can alternate as in the first step, or not as in the last step, up to you)
--Rest
--Shedding for 2 Fling steps
--Rest
--Shedding for 3 Fling steps
--Rest
--Shedding for 4 Fling steps
--Rest
--Shedding for 3 Fling steps
--Rest
--Shedding for 2 Fling steps
--Rest
--Shedding for 1 Fling step

(I'd have to look at my notes again, but it seems I may have rested for as long as I danced-- so, dance one step, rest one step. Dance two steps, rest two steps. Etc.)

One I do often is this one, for which you'll either need music, or be able to keep the beat accurately in your head:
--Put on music for your chosen dance, a 6-step version (no matter how many steps your dance actually is).
--Dance through the dance once.
--Put the music back to the beginning and do the first step, rest 1 step, do the first step again, rest 1 step, do the first step again.
--Put the music back to the beginning and repeat with each step of the dance.
--Put the music back to the beginning and dance the first and second steps together, rest 2 steps, do the first and second steps again.
--Repeat this with each pair-- second and third, third and fourth (and if a 6-step dance, fourth and fifth and then fifth and sixth)
--Do the dance through again.

The idea is that for each repetition, you try to make it better than the last. This is good for building stamina and also for drilling the steps and movements. Your goal is to eventually simply be able to keep repeating the music with only one or two steps of the music as rest in between each set. If you are feeling particularly strong and/or masochistic, for a 6-step dance you can also add on to string together three steps at a time and do each once, then rest for the remaining three steps before moving on-- first/second/third, then second/third/fourth, then fourth/fifth/sixth.

Alternately, you can make it easier by using only 4-step music, in which case you'll do individual steps only twice, and step combinations only once (or you can rewind the music and do them twice if you wish).

ReplySendWatch